Swiss Half Fare Card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2012 at 23:27:54 #805292

Dear Sir/Madam,

I hope to buy the above. We are in Switzerland for two weeks, using Europass to cover some distances and half fare card
    for small train journeys combined with walking. I think my 14 yo son will be covered under this pass also.
    What is the minimum period for a half fare card? Does the half fare card enable me to get a reduction with the
    3 day centennary Jungfrau pass?
    Thank you

Rosemarie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    16 April 2012 at 4:17:17 #836202

Hello Rosemarie,

Here you can find all the details concerning the Swiss Half Fare Card. The validity of this card is one month. Your son will travel for free with the STS Family Card which can be supplied with your order for free.
    The Half Fare Card enables you to buy the 3 day Centennary Jungfrau Pass for CHF 170,- instead of CHF 225,-.

If you already know which trips you want to make you can do some calculations using the Swiss Timetable, to make certain you really want the Centennary Jungfrau Pass.

(By the way, do you mean you are going to use a Eurail Pass? I’m not familiar with a Europass.)

Have a nice time!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2012 at 21:33:00 #836203

Dear Sir/Madam,

Just to follow up. I confirm that my 14yo son will be covered for free with the STS Family Card when I purchase the half fare card for myself.
    Does that mean he can travel for free throughout the entire bernese oberland system of railways and gondolas for free.
    We are thinking of taking the train to Wengen, gondola to Mannlichen etc.
    Another day take the train between Kleine Scheidegg and Eigergletscher station.
    We are staying in Lauterbrunnen for five days and provided he travels for free on this system, it may be cheaper than buying the centennary jungfrau passes

Con you confirm the above.

Rosemarie

Annika
    7104 posts
    26 May 2012 at 12:59:03 #836204

Hello Rosemarie! Yes, your son will travel along for free on the entire validity network of the Swiss Half Fare Card. That includes the trips you mentioned. An exact validity map can be downloaded from the Swiss Half Fare Card page Wandermann mentioned.

• The thread ‘Swiss Half Fare Card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.