Swiss Half Fare Card and 1st/2nd class tickets

• zimmuo
    Participant
    15 posts
    14 August 2022 at 16:29:50 #828076

Hello, I was checking through the many tickets I have purchased for my upcoming trip and came across this potential problem/question:

1. I purchased a Swiss Half Fare Card. Does this have a 1st or 2nd class associated with it?
    2. I purchased a 1st class reservation on the Glacier Express from Chur > Zermatt
    3. For the train ticket for the Glacier Express route, I purchased a Saver Day Pass but 2nd class. Does this Saver Day Pass need to be a 1st class pass since that GE reservation was 1st class? If I do need a 1st class pass instead, is there a way I can upgrade my 2nd class one to a 1st class one (since I read that these passes are non-refundable?)
    4. For any remaining train tickets purchased for Swiss travel, they can all be 2nd class tickets, correct?

Many thanks for your help in advance!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2022 at 22:49:08 #945608

The Swiss Half fare card is a discount card for whatever ticket you purchase. The class is not associated with the card itself.

If you want to buy a 1st class ticket for a particular journey you can get it at half price. If you want to get a 2nd class ticket for a particular journey you can get it at half price.

However you can not have a second class ticket and a first class reservation for the same journey as you will have a ticket valid for one type of seat and a reservation valid for a different type of seat in a different type of carriage.

So, yes, the Saver Day pass must be first class for the whole day OR you can buy an upgrade for a single point to point journey.

Anna
    6382 posts
    15 August 2022 at 4:49:27 #945609

Hi zimmuo.

If you have 2nd class ticket and wish to travel 1st class, you can get an upgrade ticket as explained here: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/2nd1stclass

regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Swiss Half Fare Card and 1st/2nd class tickets’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.