SWISS HALF FARE CARD AND/OR JUNGFRAU PASS

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2011 at 20:28:55 #804102

Hello,
    A friend & I will be flying into Zurich on 6/25/2011. This is our itinerary: Zurich to Zermatt. Zermatt to Aigle. Airgle to Wengen, then return to Zurich.
    We will be in Zermatt for 5 days & will want to take the Gornergrat Bahn to it’s highpoint. Additionally, we plan to hike 3-4 other days which may involve other trains/gondolas.
    We will spend 7 days in Wengen. The trip to the Jungfraujoch is a must. Plus, other trips to Grindelwald First, Klein-Scheidegg, Stechelberg, Mannlichen & the Schilthorn.
    Would very much appreciate your input as to which pass/passes would be most adventageous.
    Thank you,
    Lil Mac

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    30 January 2011 at 8:28:25 #832125

Hello Lil Mac! According to my calculations, it would be cheaper to use a Swiss Half Fare Card only, instead of a Swiss Half Fare Card plus a Jungfrau Railways Pass. This second option would cost about CHF 50.00 more than using a Swiss Half Fare Card only. There is, however, another option which is even cheaper: my advice is to purchase a Swiss Card. This allows a free trip from Zurich (assuming that you’ll arrive at the airport) to Zermatt, and a free trip from Wengen back to Zurich Airport. On all trips in between, a 50% discount applies. As your inbound journey from Zurich to Zermatt is quite long and expensive, the Swiss Card is more economical than the Swiss Half Fare Card (which entitles you to a 50% discount on all trips, including your inbound and outbound trip).

Does this help you decide? Best regards,

• The thread ‘SWISS HALF FARE CARD AND/OR JUNGFRAU PASS’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.