Swiss half fare pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 August 2011 at 10:29:22 #804662

I have a few questions about this pass:
    1. Are grandchildren free with this pass (ages 6 and 9)? If not what are our options?
    2. Is the discount on the railways of the Jungfrau 50% or 25%
    3. Is the pass valid for Gland to Chamonix and back?
    4. It looks like the price is lower if I purchase in Switzerland. Can I do that when I arrive in Geneva?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    31 August 2011 at 8:56:03 #834084

Hello shrdlu, and welcome to the forum! As for your questions:

1) Free traveling with the STS Family Card is only meant for children, not grandchildren. Your best option is to purchase a Grandchild Travelcard for each child at a Swiss railway station. Free traveling along with a grandparent is allowed for CHF 30.00 per child.

2) The discount is 50%. Please refer to the map we link to at the Swiss Half Fare Card page for an overview of validity.

3) The Swiss Half Fare Card is valid for the Swiss leg of the trip. For the French trip, the regular fares apply.

4) Yes, you can purchase the pass at the Geneva railway station.

I hope this helps you out!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2011 at 23:07:44 #834085

[quote]Annika said: Hello shrdlu, and welcome to the forum! As for your questions:

1) Free traveling with the STS Family Card is only meant for children, not grandchildren. Your best option is to purchase a Grandchild Travelcard for each child at a Swiss railway station. Free traveling along with a grandparent is allowed for CHF 30.00 per child.

2) The discount is 50%. Please refer to the map we link to at the Swiss Half Fare Card page for an overview of validity.

3) The Swiss Half Fare Card is valid for the Swiss leg of the trip. For the French trip, the regular fares apply.

4) Yes, you can purchase the pass at the Geneva railway station.

I hope this helps you out![/quote]
    Thanks Annika you have answered all my questions.
    Mike Fanning

• The thread ‘Swiss half fare pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.