Swiss HF Pass, Golden Pass, etc

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 August 2011 at 18:42:02 #804564

Hi,

I need a suggestion if Swiss Half Fare is the best option for my coming up trip to Switzerland. There will be 3 adults travelling together.

My itinerary will be
    Day 1: Arrive Zurich airport in the evening and travel to Lucerne – Stay at Lucerne for 2 night
    Day 2: Explore Lucerne city
    Day 3: Travel from Lucerne to Interlaken and Lauterbrunnen – Stay at Lauterbrunnen for 2 night
    Day 4: From Lauterbrunnen heading to Jungfrau Top of Europe and return to Lauterbrunnen
    Day 5: From Lauterbrunnen to Interlaken to Zurich airport

Q1: Is the Swiss Half Fare best option for my trip 4-5days trip?
    Q2: Will the Swiss Half Fare apply to my Lucerne to Interlaken with Golden Pass trip? If yes, how much it would be?
    Q3: Will the Swiss Half Fare apply to Jungfrau trip? If yes, how much it would be?

Look forward for your feedback and suggestion.

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    3 August 2011 at 10:42:52 #833725

Hi lming, and welcome to the forum. Yes, the Swiss Half Fare Card is a good choice. It’s valid on both the Golden Pass trip and on the Jungfraujoch trip, offering a 50% discount on regular prices. Prices can be checked using the Swiss timetable; further explanation can be found in the FAQ. If you click the link to the map ‘Overview of the network on which the Swiss Half Fare Card is valid’ on the Swiss Half Fare Card page, an exact overview of validity will be displayed.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 August 2011 at 19:59:10 #833726

Hi Annika,

I can just buy the Swiss Half Fare card at the Zurich airport am I right? And all the train ticket from Zurich to Lucerne to Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen to Jungfrau and return to Lauterbrunnen and to Zurich airport, I can buy on the day at the train station do I?

Do I need to book or reserve a seat for the Golden Pass train as we will be travelling on Saturday? I search in the goldenpass website and no free seat available for 2nd class. Will we still be able to take the morning 9:55am ride if in this case?

What about the Jungfrau train/gonodola ride/rcog railway ticket? Do I need to buy it in advance and reserve a seat too?

By the way, do you have any suggestion on what or where should I go for my Day 3? We pretty much just travel to Lauterbrunnen to check in our hotel and the waterfall nearby? Is there any other things or place we should go for a visit while we on the way from Lucerne?

xox

Arno
    15483 posts
    5 August 2011 at 10:46:09 #833727

Hi lming,

Don’t worry, we’ll answer all posts. Yes, the Swiss Half Fare Card is available at the airport and online. It’s explained on the Swiss Half Fare Card page. Other tickets can be purchased at the rail station. You don’t need reservations anywhere unless an exception is listed for your specific train in the timetable.

On your day 3, it would be an option to get off the train in Brienz and travel to Interlaken by boat. Then continue by train from there. You can also do the cog rail trip up the Brienzer Rothorn from Brienz. Or get off the train in Meiringen to visit the Reichenbach Fall or Aareschlucht. It’s listed on this page.

Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 August 2011 at 18:56:57 #833728

Thank you Arno! 🙂

We will be travelling with luggages, will that be not so convenient for us to change train and travel by boat? I know there is an suggestion on store the luggage in the locker at train station, yet we are not returning to the Lucerne or Briez as we are heading down south to Interlaken/Lauterbrunnen.

Arno
    15483 posts
    8 August 2011 at 0:49:18 #833729

Hi lming,

It’s no problem to take along luggage on the boat.

• The thread ‘Swiss HF Pass, Golden Pass, etc’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.