Swiss pass for a week”s trip?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 May 2014 at 14:46:36 #806385

Hello

my family and I will be visiting Switzerland from 4 to 12 August. The plan is:

-Fly into Zurich

-Take the train to Wengen

-Take day trips to interlaken, lake brienz, trummelbach falls and jungfraujoch

-After 4 days travel to Montreaux by train

-Spend 3 days in Montreaux including taking the chocolate train and visiting the gruyere factory

-Take the train from Montreaux to Zurich

Having checked prices it looks like the Swiss Pass would be the best option, cost wise even for such a short trip.

My kids are 18 and 15. The 15 year old will be 16 in December so I presume she should be free if we request a family pass? Am I right that all transport will be covered except the chocolate train and jungfraujoch, and even there I should get a discount?

Any other places to see?

Thanks – Sonali

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    26 May 2014 at 14:19:43 #840039

Hi Sonali,

You’re right, the 15 year old travels along for free: you can order along a Swiss Family Card which includes free traveling for children up to 15. The 18 year old can get the Youth variant of the Swiss Pass: Swiss Youth Pass.

The Trümmelbach Falls are not included in the pass, and you need to pay a surcharge/reservation for the Chocolate Train. The Jungfraujoch is discounted by 25% from Wengen. The 15 year old travels along for free there as well.

See here for Swiss Pass prices & resellers, and don’t forget to check the promotions section.

As for more things to see: see the Montreux and Bernese Oberland pages for suggestions. Personally, I would include some hiking if the weather is fine. Interlaken is not a must, unless you like to go shopping.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2014 at 16:57:26 #840040

Thanks Arno! Do we still need to reserve seats esp given that it’s second class? Appreciate your input and your other responses have also been very helpful!

sonali

Arno
    15484 posts
    26 May 2014 at 17:00:32 #840041

Hi Sonali,

I’m glad to help! Seat reservations are not required (except for the Chocolate Train), regardless of the class of travel. Please see here: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/reservations

• The thread ‘Swiss pass for a week”s trip?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.