Swiss Travel Pass for Wengen to Venice train route

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2017 at 20:10:52 #812111

Hi

I would be travelling from Wengen to Venice and I checked the sbb.ch to find a train of my choice and the route is below with 5 separate trains:

1) Wengen – Lauterbrunnen

2) Lauterbrunnen – Interlaken Ost

3) Interlaken Ost – Spiez

4) Spiez – Milano Centrale via Domodossola

5) Milano Centrale – Venice

As I am availing Swiss pass, So I understand Till Spiez no need to Purchase any separate ticket. But are there chance train gets overbooked

and I will not get a seat.

Also Spiez – Milan route, I was checking your forum and other forum where its mentioned about Domodossola being covered in Swiss Pass

although thats in Italy. Also this route shows in RED i.e high occupancy expected in sbb.ch website.

Could you please suggest on this specific route, on how should i go ahead considering I have swiss pass.

For the last connection , Milan-Venice, is it advisable to book in advance or it is ok to purchase the ticket from Milan Station. Any challenges.

Thanks & Regards,

Alok Datta

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    3 June 2017 at 20:22:40 #864434

Hi Alok,

The Swiss Travel Pass (not SwissPass, that’s for Swiss residents) is valid to Domodossola. You can verify that on the Swiss Travel Pass map. So you only need a ticket from Domodossola to Venice, and it is recommended to book that in advance through any of the websites listed here. Of course you can stay seated in Domodossola as you will have travel documents for the entire route.

Enjoy the trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2017 at 0:49:28 #864435

Hi Arno,

Thanks for your response.

The train which starts from Spiez ends at Milan and Domodossola is at the middle. So are you saying I need to do the booking for the middle part of the route i.e. Domodossola. It means that I will be boarding a train from Spiez where I will not have a seat reserved (since having Swiss travel pass) and later part of the journey in the same train will have to book ticket.Am I correct ?

So do i need to get off the train at Domodossola and get on the actual coach in the same train where i have a ticket booked or its better to get on the same coach at Spiez itself and take booked seat from domodossola.

Thanks & Regards,

Alok Datta

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2017 at 7:53:36 #864436

Hi Alok,

Yes, you just need to buy a ticket for the Italian portion of your trip (with your Swiss Travel Pass cover the trip up to Domodossola). Show your Swiss Travel Pass when asked before Domodossola and show the Italian train ticket after Domodossola when asked.

I found a direct train from Domodossola to Venice (on the link Arno gave you) so depending on what train you book you may have to move seats or trains (I’d switch trains if it meant a direct train to Venice but perhaps you want to see Milan?) Either way you will need to switch trains in Domodossola and/or Milan.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2017 at 22:50:55 #864437

Alok, you should also check the Trenitalia website since most of your travel will be in Italy. Coming from Wengen, we booked the train from Spiez to Milan for $19E and reserved a seat. Of course you have to book well in advance to get the super cheap rates. The ticket from Domodossola to Milan wasn’t going to be much cheaper than that anyway and we wanted to make sure we had 4 seats together.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2017 at 8:05:09 #864438

Thanks.

For the Swiss travel pass, how can i get the same in my email or softcopy. When I try to book, I get delivery or billing address so just wanted to make sure if I can get a soft copy as I will travel in a week.

Also I would be travelling form Paris to Lucerne via Basel. Can i get the travel pass purchased from Basel station when i reach there.

Thanks & Regards,

Alok Datta

Arno
    15484 posts
    7 June 2017 at 8:53:34 #864439

Hi Alok,

You’ll find purchase options on myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/price. Most websites listed there offer print at home passes, so you’ll receive it through e-mail and print it yourself. That’s the recommended way. You can buy it in Basel but that takes more time. Worst case you miss the first available train to Lucerne and need to wait for the next one.

I’d recommend to buy the pass through http://www.swissrailways.com/ en, the tourist web shop of the Swiss Railways. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the pass within 1-3 business days (no delivery fees).

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass for Wengen to Venice train route’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.