Swiss Pass or Card…please suggest

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 February 2011 at 6:45:36 #804120

Hi,

I am going to Basel (from Netherlands by Eurolines) on 25th April with my husband, my 3 yr old daughter and my parents (61yrs and 59 yrs old).
    We plan to spend one day in Basel and go to Interlaken and possibly to Jungfrah. Our return ticket is also from Basel on 28th evening by Eurolines.

Should we buy Swiss Saver Pass for all of us? How much would ONE ticket cost from Interlaken to Junfrah (I am assuming its a Mountain train) if we have the Swiss Travel pass?

Please suggest…

Thanks
    Yamini

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    12 February 2011 at 4:50:11 #832170

Hello Yamini! As you’ll be making only a few trips, a Swiss Saver Pass would be too expensive. A Swiss Half Fare Card suits your needs. It provides a 50% discount on your trips, and even if the trip from Basel to the Jungfraujoch is the only one you’ll be making, you will save about CHF 30.00 with a Swiss Half Fare Card (compared to buying regular full fare train tickets). You’d need Swiss Half Fare Cards for all adults. Your 3 year old daughter will travel along for free.

A full fare return trip from Interlaken to the Jungfraujoch costs CHF 186.20 (for 1 person, in 2nd class). With a Swiss Half Fare Card, you’ll pay CHF 93.10. Prices can be found in the Swiss timetable. Instructions on this can be found in our rail FAQ.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2011 at 6:27:43 #832171

Hi Annika,

Thanks for your reply.
    I have made a quick comparison table and want you to please check if its ok.. Since the table gets distorted on pasting here, I have attached it to this post.
    Under this table, I believe that even though the Swiss Pass will cost about 10 CHF more than the Swiss Half fare card, it will give us the flexibility to use the public transport as much as possible since my parents wont be able to walk too much. It will also give the peace of mind.

Plus, I am assuming that the Swiss Half fare card and Swiss Saver pass both will have a validity of 4 days.

Please advise…
    Thanks
    Yamini

Annika
    7104 posts
    12 February 2011 at 7:09:35 #832172

Hi Yamini,

Most of it looks ok, but please note that you get a 50% discount on the section Wengen – Jungfraujoch with the Swiss Half Fare Card and 25% with the Swiss Pass. The whole trip Interlaken – Jungfraujoch would be around CHF 130 with a Swiss Pass. Still, you’re right about the facts that the Swiss Pass offers more flexibility and convenience. Details about ordering and exact discounts for the Swiss Pass can be found here.

The Swiss Half Fare Card is valid for one month.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2011 at 8:13:26 #832173

Hi Annika,

Thanks for the prompt response.
    I checked the routes where the Swiss Pass is valid and it seems that train section from Interlaken to Wengen is free for unlimited travel and the section from Wengen to Jungfraujoch is under 25% discount as you had said. Is that correct?

Best
    Yamini

Annika
    7104 posts
    12 February 2011 at 8:52:40 #832174

Hi Yamini,

Yes, that’s right. Because of the first part being free, the price Interlaken Ost – Jungfraujoch with a Swiss Pass is actually less than the CHF 130 I quoted, if you travel through Wengen both when going up and down: about CHF 115. Anyway, you can check the prices here. For more diverse scenery, I would however recommend to travel via Wengen when going up and via Grindelwald when going down. That’s a bit more expensive (going towards the CHF 130 I mentioned), but I would say that’s worth it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2011 at 15:00:42 #832175

Thanks Annika,

You have really helped me correct my calculations. So I now have a total cost of CHF 344 of the Swiss Pass and it is atleast CHF 30 more expensive than the Swiss half fare card.

I will now be able to make an informed decision. Thanks a lot.

Best
    Yamini

• The thread ‘Swiss Pass or Card…please suggest’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.