I need help with chosing what option to get; my trip will be as follows:
    1/9 arrival in Zurich @ 7pm direct to hotel
    2/9 Zurich tour then travel to lucerne
    3/9 Pilatus
    4/9 Titlis then travel to Interlaken
    5/9 Junfrau
    6/9 back to Zurich and fly home

We are two adults and three children-will use family cards-

MY question is is it better to buy 2 sets of Swiss saver pass 4 days each, that is 2 saver passes from 1/9 till 4/9 and then from 2 passes from 4/9 till 8/9. This will cost 226*2

Or 2 flexi passes 4 days, so I can pay for transport from zurich airport to hotel on 1/9 normal fare, then on 2/9 activate my flexi pass and use it all days except for 5/9 where I will not use it and just get the normal discount on Junfrau excursion? This will cost 262+ travel expenses on 1/9 & 5/9?

Regards
    Ayman

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 August 2012 at 4:33:45 #836839

Hello Ayman,

The best option is to take one 4-day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass for 2 adults and a Swiss Family Card so that the children travel along for free. Your visit to the Jungfrau requires a bit more traveling than your visit to the Pilatus, so I would recommend to use the free travel days on the 2th, 4th, 5th and 6th. This is an attractive option as the 2-for-1 promotion on the Swiss Saver Flexi Pass requires you to pay for one adult only. All details and purchase options of the pass are here.

For 1/9 and the morning of 2/9, you can consider to buy Zurich Cards.

You may also want to read the tips about how to find the best hotels for train travelers.

Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 August 2012 at 8:24:08 #836840

Hello Arno,

Many thanks for your reply; must admit I am starting to love switzerland from now because of the support I get from you guys.
    Can you explain how Jungfrau requires more travel than Pilatus? I understand that using the swiss flexi pass I will get 25% on Jungfrau excursion anyway even on days which are not free travel days. Being in Interlaken I understand using the free travel days or using the 25% discount will be the same, correct? There is no travel other than the excursion.

A second question, being on Jungfrau do we need special gear/ clothes? or just jackets and closed shoes? Please consider I have kids-2 years & 1 year- and we actually live in Dubai where it 47 degrees C now!!
    Regards,
    Ayman

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 August 2012 at 9:58:17 #836841

Hi Ayman,

A trip to the Pilatus starts/ends in Lucerne; just a short bus ride from the town center. If you end in nearby Alpnachstad, you only need a single ticket back to Lucerne. The Jungfrau requires you to travel about 40 minutes to Wengen or 30 to Grindelwald. That’s more traveling than Pilatus and those trips are free on a free travel day.

A visit to the Jungfrau requires warm clothes, sun glasses, sunscreen lotion and hiking shoes would be comfortable if you want to go out in the snow.

• The thread ‘Swiss pass or flex pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.