Swiss Pass or Half Fare Card?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 December 2012 at 8:02:32 #805723

Hi!
    My family of 5 from Singapore will be travelling to Switzerland for a period of 5 days and I am overwhelmed with the information about the Swiss Rail, and would really appreciate your help. The itinerary we have thus far in terms of travelling are:

Day 1: Zurich – Lucerne

Day 3: Lucerne – Interlaken

Day 3: Interlaken – Lauterbrunnen – Murren – Interlaken

Day 4: Interlaken – Jungfraujoch – Kleinne Scheidegg – Interlaken

Day 5: Interlaken – Grindelwald – Interlaken

Day 5: Interlaken – Zurich

I have calculated the costs if we purchase a Swiss Pass but it doesn’t seem to be cheaper since it only offers a 25% discount on the Jungfrau routes, and a lot of our journey encompasses using the trains for those routes.

Hence, the question I have is: Does the Half Fare Pass cover all the routes I have outlined above? Including the Jungfrau routes?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    19 December 2012 at 9:38:50 #837851

Hi tasianicoletan,

To see exactly what’s covered, you can best download the network maps from the Swiss Pass page and Swiss Half Fare Card page. Actually, most of your planned train routes in the Jungfrau region are free with a Swiss Pass or 50% discounted with the Swiss Half Fare Card. It’s just the section from Grindelwald or Wengen up to the Jungfrau that’s only discounted by 25% in case of the Swiss Pass. Grindelwald and Mürren can be reached for free; you don’t need a ticket if you have a Swiss Pass.

All in all I would say that the Swiss Half fare Card is slightly cheaper than the other options. However, it also depends on when you’ll be traveling. You may be able to profit from discounts or promotions. Please take a look at the top posts in our rail forum for current promotions and announcements.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    21 December 2012 at 12:15:22 #837852

>Hence, the question I have is: Does the Half Fare Pass cover all the routes I have outlined above? Including the Jungfrau routes?<

Yes.

If your group includes any children aged 15 or under they will travel with parent for free with the Family Card. You must request the Family Card when you purchase either pass.

• The thread ‘Swiss Pass or Half Fare Card?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.