Swiss Travel Pass or Half Fare Card for 10-days?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
teochermaine
teochermaine
2 posts
Mar 29, 2017 - 4:01 AM

hello, i need some advise on the swiss pass.

i will be in switzerland for 10 days from 7 April

Below is my itinerary

Day 1 – Mt Pilatus

Day 2 – Mt Rigi/Lake Lucerne/Lucerne City

Day 3 – Zermatt

Day 4 – Zermatt (Ski)

Day 5 – Zermatt (Ski)

Day 6 – Glacier 3000

Day 7 – Jungfrau – Schynige Platte

Day 8 – Schilthorn/Murren

Day 9 – Bern

Day 10 – Bern to Zurich Airport for departure

May i ask if i should get the 8 days or 15 days swiss pass? As i noticed its just an incremental cost to get the 15 days but i’m not sure if it is worth it.

Or should i just get a half fare card for this trip?

Would it be a hassle to queue up to buy tickets for the half fare pass or is it relatively easy? Would i be wasting time on it buying tickets everytime?

Also, does the half fare card also provides discount on the scenic train rides?

Would appreciate any advice/suggestions

Many thanks

Lucas
Lucas
9211 posts
expert &
Mar 29, 2017 - 9:54 AM in reply to teochermaine

Hi Teochermaine and welcome to MySwissAlps!

It looks like a nice itinerary! I would lean to the 15 day Swiss Travel Pass as it saves you time and the hassle of buying tickets for each train (as you would with the Swiss Half Fare Card). As you said, its not too much more over the 8 day pass and then all your days are covered!
You can also have the STP emailed to you and printed at home so you just hop on a train when you arrive in Switzerland (and an electronic back-up in case of lost passes).

Most train stations have staffed offices to buy individual tickets or passes. Tickets (only) can also be bought at ticket machines located in all stations as well. Its not too difficult as long as you build in time to get tickets for every trip (at least 15 or 20 minutes if you use the offices).

Yes, the Swiss Half Fare Card covers panoramic trains as well - reservations for those trains are always extra and mandatory no matter what ticket or pass you have.

Lucas

Last modified on Mar 29, 2017 - 2:06 PM by Arno
teochermaine
teochermaine
2 posts
Mar 29, 2017 - 2:54 PM

Dear Lucas,

Many thanks for your advice. It helps a lot! :)

Chermaine

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018