Swiss Travel Pass - does it cover all my routes?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
rounak
rounak
3 posts
Jul 25, 2017 - 9:03 PM

Hi Guys,

Can anybody please help me with the below query? I'm still in doubt about Swiss Rail Pass :

If I book swiss pass for 8days in 2nd class

Do I need to book ticket for the following journey or I can just catch the train with my swiss pass

1. Basel to Interlaken

2. Interlaken to Lucerne

3. Lucerne to Zurich

4. Interlaken OST - Lauterbrunnen - Kleine Scheidegg - Jungfraujoch

5. Jungfraujoch - Kleine Scheidegg - Grindelward

6. Lucerne - Engelberg - Mount Titlis

7. Zurich - Neuhausen Rheinfall

Thanks in advance.

Rounak.

ben
ben
39 posts
Jul 25, 2017 - 11:28 PM in reply to rounak

Hi Rounak,

When you say 'Swiss Rail Pass', perhaps i think you refer to Swiss Travel Pass (STP). The benefit of a STP means that you don't need to buy a ticket for any journey that is covered entirely by the STP. Just show your STP and you are good to go.

However, a number of cable cars and trains journeys are not 100% free with the STP. They might be discounted either 50% or 25% or not at all. For these, you will need to buy a ticket. Majority of them are detailed in the link below, which i would highly recommend you have a look.

www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity

For example, the ever popular Jungfraubahn to Jungfraujoch, with an STP you receive a 25% discount. Yes, you need to buy a ticket.

Journeys 1-3 & 7 are covered entirely by STP, so to answer your question, no ticket required if you have a valid STP.

Journey 6 , its free until Engelberg. Then you have to buy a ticket for the 360 degree rotating cable car up to Mt Titlis. You get a 50% discount with a valid STP.

I'm not too sure about journeys 4&5, i know its free up until a certain point, certainly until both Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald, and as mentioned above, you have to buy a ticket up to Jungfrau and you get a 25% discount with a valid STP.

Best Regards,

Ben

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Jul 26, 2017 - 5:10 AM in reply to rounak

Hi rounak, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

>> 4. Interlaken OST - Lauterbrunnen - Kleine Scheidegg - Jungfraujoch

Travel as far as Wengen (which is between Lauterbrunnen and Kleine Scheidegg) is free with the Swiss Travel Pass. For the sectors Wengen > Kleine Scheidegg > Jungfraujoch you get a 25% discount when you buy the ticket

5. Jungfraujoch - Kleine Scheidegg - Grindelward

You get a 25% discount with the Swiss Travel Pass on the ticket price for this route.

Alpenrose

Last modified on Jul 26, 2017 - 7:47 AM by Lucas
rounak
rounak
3 posts
Jul 26, 2017 - 11:50 AM in reply to ben

Hi Ben,

Now it is 100% clear to me.

Many many thanks to you.

Rounak.

rounak
rounak
3 posts
Jul 26, 2017 - 11:51 AM in reply to Removed user

Thanks a lot Alpenrose.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019