Swiss Pass with mountain rail

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 December 2016 at 9:09:59 #810458

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are spending 8 days in Switzerland over christmas. I have been doing quite a bit of research but still as confused as ever as to best option to get around, our itinerary is as below and we are looking at doing the Swiss 8 Day pass but want to make sure that this covers trips to Zermatt and Jungfraujoch or would we have to pay additional prices for those trains.

Also at this time should we book reservation seats? and is it recommended to buy the pass prior to leaving London? Would you not recommend the Interrail or Eurorrail pass for what we are wanting to do?

Itinerary: Geneva Airport-Montreux

Montreux- Interlaken

Interlaken to Jungfraujoch (day trip return)

Interlaken to Sion

Sion to zermatt (Day trip return)

Sion to Geneva Airport.

Thanks for anyhelp you can provide it’s greatly appreciated,

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7125 posts
    20 December 2016 at 12:57:54 #857470

Hi ssym7, thanks for joining MySwissAlps!

You’re referring to the Swiss Travel Pass; the Swiss Pass is a different product, for Swiss residents only. Yes, it’s easier to buy it online before departure rather than at a railway station after arrival. Retailers are listed at myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/price. Buying print at home passes (no shipping fees) from http://www.swissrailways.com/ en would be the cheapest option. Please don’t wait too long, as I assume you’ll be heading for Switzerland quite soon and online orders may take some processing days.

The Swiss Travel Pass offers great flexibility, and you seem to be traveling around quite a lot. So yes, your choice seems to make sense. If you want to be a 100% sure, you should make pretty detailed calculations as explained at myswissalps.com/train/ ticketspasses/practica l/chooserailpass. The Swiss Travel Pass validity is explained in detail at myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/validity. In short: all of your trips will be covered, except for the section Wengen/Grindelwald-Jungfraujoch: this one’s discounted. Please refer to http://www.myswissalps .com/jungfraujoch/tick ets as well.

Seat reservations aren’t necessary: myswissalps.com/train/ reservations.

I hope this helps you out. Enjoy your Christmas holidays in Switzerland!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 December 2016 at 6:49:16 #857471

Thank you for your reply, you have helped a lot

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 December 2016 at 7:33:08 #857472

Sorry one more thing.

Why doesn’t the Swiss travel rail pass cover a discount rate from interlaken to jungfraujoch,only the Swiss half fare??

Thanks again for your extremely helpful advice

Arno
    15484 posts
    21 December 2016 at 7:45:02 #857473

Hi ssym7,

It does offer a discount. Please see here to compare:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 December 2016 at 8:29:42 #857474

Ok great,

i took your advice and going to book it today. But on the Swissrailways website it is not letting me book it from the 24th December (I presume because it’s to close to the date)

would you suggest getting the pass from the Geneva airport, our flight gets in at 7 pm on Christmas Eve, or getting an e ticket sent to us to print at home, hoping it arrives by the 23rd.

Thanks for helping with this messy situation

Arno
    15484 posts
    21 December 2016 at 11:13:18 #857475

Hi ssym7,

If you travel date is on such short notice you’d better buy locally as they can’t process orders that fast yet (even e-tickets). The airport ticket desk will be open until 8:15 PM that day, so if your flight arrives in time you can still make it. If not, you can get a free ride to the town center as explained here. Ticket offices will be closed there too by that time, so you would have to buy your pass the next day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 December 2016 at 11:56:45 #857476

Thank you so much for this information. It’s really appreciated.

Merry Christmas

• The thread ‘Swiss Pass with mountain rail’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.