Swiss rail forwarding luggage Geneva to Zermatt

• Mattiedog
    Participant
    18 posts
    12 July 2018 at 3:09:47 #817226

We fly into Geneva August 24. We will be hiking part of the Haute Route and want to carry as little as possible. So, we would like to go to the train station when we arrive in Geneva and arrange to have a duffle bag shipped from Geneva to Zermatt train station. It is my understanding this is possible and that it will be automatically held for four days then we would have to pay a fee per day for storage. We could then pick our bag up when we get to Zermatt … September 3. Do I understand this correctly? Is there a better idea? Do I have to make any reservations or previous arrangements? Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2018 at 10:26:08 #891127

Hi Mattiedog,

You are correct. After 4 days there is a 5chf charge per day.

You can read about it and find a link to SBB as well here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/practical/ luggage

Mattiedog
    Participant
    18 posts
    14 July 2018 at 23:22:35 #891128

One more question about luggage transport. So, can I designate my luggage for delivery to a hotel? Does the railroad deliver it or does the hotel go pick it up? If the railroad delivers, is there a fee for that? If the hotel picks it up, is there a standard or usual fee for that? Thank you

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 July 2018 at 7:55:20 #891129

Hi Mattiedog,

Swiss railways delivers to most any address for additional fees as noted on our luggage page:

Shipping from a station to any address or vice versa is possible as well. An addition fee applies here. Also you can send your luggage from address to address, with an optional express service for same day delivery. All these services need to be ordered two days in advance at the latest.

Mattiedog
    Participant
    18 posts
    15 July 2018 at 13:27:06 #891130

YOUR WEB SITE SAYS delivery to a hotel is not offered in case of car free towns such as Mürren, Wengen and Zermatt. In that case the luggage will be delivered to the local train station. Your accommodation will most likely be able to transport it for you. So, back to my question of you or others….is there a usual rate? Thank you

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 July 2018 at 15:54:33 #891131

Aha, I forgot from your earlier post you are going to Zermatt.

Usually there is no charge from hotels (of course I can’t speak for every hotel) and this is normally assuming you arrive with your luggage – they offer to pick you and your luggage up from the station.

See a page with further details on the SBB website here: https://www.sbb.ch/en/ station-services/services/lugg age/luggage/station-to-station/hotel-delivery.html – there are hotels that will pick up listed under “conditions and notes”.

If you are planning to go to Zermatt station, pick up your bags and have the hotel get you and your bags then it shouldn’t be an issue/charge. You’ll want to confirm with your hotel though; and they may charge a fee to go pick them up on their own without you being there.

• The thread ‘Swiss rail forwarding luggage Geneva to Zermatt’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.