Best rail pass for Geneva - Zermatt - Wengen?

Best rail pass for Geneva - Zermatt - Wengen?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Arnabghosh
Arnabghosh
42 posts
Mar 31, 2018 - 3:16 AM

We r 2 adults with a kid of 5 yrs+

Which one to buy Swiss pass for 8 days or HALF FARE CARD

Followings are in our itinerary

Geneva to Zermatt by train Gornergrat round trip. Matterhorn Glacier Paradise roundtrip

Zermatt to Wengen . Then Wengen to lauterbrunen. Wengen to Jungfrau Return via grindelwald. Wengen to breinz ---- breinz rothorn round-trip back to wengen

Wengen to Lucerne. Lucerne To titlis round-trip . Lucern to Montreux via golden pass line then to Geneva

Please reply urgent

rockoyster
rockoyster
3688 posts
expert
Mar 31, 2018 - 3:32 AM in reply to Arnabghosh

Hello Arnabghosh,

Maybe if you didn't split your questions over so many posts it might be easier to keep track of what you were up to. eg www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/swiss-trip-5 alongside this one.

Brief, seeing it is urgent*, answer - get 8-day Swiss Travel Passes. Buy on line here www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price. If your child is 6 but < 16 get the free Swiss Family Card. If your child is < 6 you don't need that but I am not sure what 5+ means.

More considered answer:

Based on your itinerary you need to do the sums based on the cost of all your planned trips on trains, boats, cable cars etc. You can use the Swiss Train Timetable (www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to work out the fares for any trip. When you go to buy a ticket the fare you see on the right hand side of the page will normally be the half-fare price. Double it to get full fare. With A Swiss Travel Pass it is free provided it is shown as free on the Area of Validity map ( PDF downloadable from www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity).

You should read “How to choose the best travel pass” (www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass), download the handy spreadsheet calculator and do the math.

*Why is it so urgent seeing you aren't travelling until early June?

Arnabghosh
Arnabghosh
42 posts
Mar 31, 2018 - 4:55 AM

Urgent for this reason

I have to buy the package for Switzerland trip by tomorrow.

Arno
Arno
10745 posts
expert &
Mar 31, 2018 - 9:58 AM

Hi Arnabghosh,

I agree with Rockoyster that the Swiss Travel Pass is probably best, considering that you have a few long transfers in your plans. Simply print it at home via the link he provided, and you'll have the most convenient travel option covered. Now what's left is hotels and possibly a plane ticket. No need to buy anything else in advance I would say. Most packages that I know of also include local transportation, so be sure not to pay double for this. Hotels can easily be booked by yourself. You'll find suggestions on all of our town pages, and here as well: www.myswissalps.com/ho tels.

Happy planning!

Arnabghosh
Arnabghosh
42 posts
Mar 31, 2018 - 1:13 PM in reply to Arno

Thanks for reply

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018