Swiss rail pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2012 at 10:07:41 #805329
    • Hi,

We are a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 children aged 11 and 13. We are traveling from Milan on July 15, 2012 by train to Lucerne. On 16th we plan to visit Mt. Pilatus. On 17th we are planning to take the Golden pass to Montreux. 18th visit Geneva and 19th from Geneva travel to Geneva airport. By looking various options

is the Swiss 2 for 1 saver flexi pass suitable for us?

• Apart from reservation are the mountain trips and trains free in this?
    • do we have pay extra for kids?
    • We know that children are free under swiss family card, but is the Golden pass and mt Pilatus trip disconted or free in this?
    • Can we buy it online? Is ther an extra cost for shipping?
    • Is there a place where we can buy the pass in Milan?

Can anyone advise which would be an economical choice for us. Thank you all well in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    3 June 2012 at 15:38:16 #836300

Hi abivaz2000,

The 2-for-1 offer is not available for traveling in July. I would recommend to consider a 3-day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass and use the free travel days on July 15, 17 and 18. The purchase options (including online) and all details such as shipping can be found on the Swiss Flexi Pass page if you select your country and desired pass type from the dropdown lists. There may be travel agencies selling Swiss Travel System products in Milan, but I don’t know where. You need the pass for the 2 adults, and the children will indeed travel along for free everywhere with the Swiss Family Card.

Even though the pass will be expired by the 19th, you’ll still be able to reach the airport for free with the Geneva Transport Card, as you can read here.

Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2012 at 22:27:32 #836301

sorry I had another doubt so is the swiss flexi saver pass and swiss family card are same? I think I`ll be having more queries on this. Thank you and looking forward for your reply

Arno
    15471 posts
    4 June 2012 at 0:56:21 #836302

The Swiss Family Card is a separate ticket that you can order along for free. If the reseller isn’t able to provide it, you can get it for free at any Swiss rail station upon showing your rail pass and passports.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2012 at 3:36:20 #836303

Thank you for replying back. By looking at the website the Swiss saver flexi pass including shipping for us to Duabi would be $472.52 for 3 days (15,17 and 18) but on 16th we would like to take the round trip to Mt. Pilatus will we get any disocunt on the boat and cog wheel if we take the Swiss family card along with the saver pass? I assume u would have to pay for making the reservation on the golden pass train right? On 19th we are traveling to Geneva airport from Montreux so what exactly is the free days option which we could cover in that by taking the 3 days flexi saver pass? If we have have the flexi saver pass we can get the swiss family card for free from any Swiss train station right? and the benefit of the Swiss family card is that children can travel free right? Sorry to bother you with these silly questions but I`m not able to follow the rail passes properly. Thank you for your patience

Annika
    7104 posts
    4 June 2012 at 12:35:06 #836304

Hello abivaz! A 50% discount applies on non-free travel days, such as your trip to Pilatus on July 16. The pass expires after the last free travel day. So if you use it as Arno proposed, there will be no discounts for the trip Montreux-Geneva (if you travel only within Geneva, you can use the Geneva Transport Card Arno mentioned).

Yes, the Swiss Family Card allows children under 16 to travel along for free wherever you go as long as the Swiss Flexi Pass is valid. Please visit the Swiss Flexi Pass page for further details.

• The thread ‘Swiss rail pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.