Swiss Rail Passes ?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2011 at 22:39:43 #804262

Good Evening fellow Travellers,

Looking for any and all advice on Swiss Rail Passes.

We are traveling to Wengen for 3 nights in July – 2 adults and 2 children (ages 9/12). We need to get up to Wengen, would like to do the Jungfrau Top of Europe trip, have some flexibility to travel between Wengen and Gimmewald , boat cruise in Interlaken on our day of departure. We are then heading to Lausanne (3 nights) ( by car) and planning on doing the “Chocolate Train” and perhaps a boat cruise to Evian.

I have seen the Swiss Family Pass on sale – should we purchase this, 1st or 2nd class or just the half/fare card ?

I am so confused.

Cheers,

Mandy

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    4 May 2011 at 12:24:47 #832703

Hi Mandy. The Swiss Half Fare Card would be fine, as you’ll be traveling short distances only.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2011 at 13:35:28 #832704

Hi ,
    Does the Swiss Half Fare Card offer discounts on the Chocolate Train, Boat Cruises and the Jungfrau ?

Another question regarding the Swiss Family Rail pass – if we use the pass for Boat Cruises and Jungfrau do those days count at “travel days” ?
    Cheers

Arno
    15471 posts
    4 May 2011 at 16:12:30 #832705

Hi Mandy. Yes, it’s valid for those trips. The. Swiss Half Fare Card page links to a detailed map showing what’s covered.

The Swiss Flexi Pass of the special offer allows you to choose your free travel days before you start a trip. It’s not the traveling that determines whether a free travel day has been used.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2011 at 18:08:14 #832706

Hi,

I hope this will be my last series of questions for you….I have having a hard time pulling up prices for the Chocolate train…We are a family of 2 adults and 2 kids (ages 10/13) We will buying the Swiss Half Fare Card can advise me on the price ??

Also do you recommend purchasing tickets ahead of time for the train ( I know I seem obsessed with this train but my kids are so excited about it) – but not sure how to do this if we will not be purchasing Swiss Half Fare Card until we arrive in Switzerland

Cheers

Arno
    15471 posts
    5 May 2011 at 13:41:18 #832707

Hi Mandy,

The Chocolate Train costs CHF 69 (adult) with a Swiss Half Fare Card, as explained here. You can book it without possessing the Swiss Half Fare Card yet, as long as you have both when boarding the train. You can buy the Swiss Half Fare Card at any other time. The purchase options are listed on the Swiss Half Fare Card page.

Being obsessed with anything chocolate related is not uncommon for people visiting Switzerland. Don’t worry 😉

• The thread ‘Swiss Rail Passes ?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.