Swiss Transfer Ticket – to/from different towns?

• leeds
    Participant
    2 posts
    9 March 2018 at 13:07:18 #814685

I am travelling from Geneva Airport to Saas Fee via Visp in April and returning a week later from Zermatt to Geneva Airport. Can I use the Transfer Ticket if I am returning from a different town ie. arriving at Saas Fee and Returning from Zermatt.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2018 at 15:56:56 #878254

Hi Leeds and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, you can use The Swiss Transfer Ticket to return from a different town. It always needs to be on the most direct route though (given on the timetable). You can read more details on how to use it here.

andrew
    Participant
    147 posts
    16 March 2018 at 14:42:35 #878255

Hi Leeds & Lucas,

A lot depends on what is meant by “most direct route”. Some routes are shorter in distance but take longer in time as well as costing different amounts for ‘normal’ tickets. For instance, we have travelled with Transfer Tickets many times between the Bernese Oberland and Zurich Airport and gone via Bern as well as via the Brunig line and Luzern. We’ve never had a problem.

Recently we used Saver Day Tickets which were both cheaper than Transfer Tickets and also gave full flexibility including diversions off our main route.

Andrew

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2018 at 16:05:06 #878256

A very valid point! These new Saver Day Passes can be a great value.

Typically, any route that is given by the timetable is valid for a Swiss Transfer Ticket. The “most direct route” can differ depending on the date and time so I am sure it isn’t always the same option. If it is listed on the timetable you are definitely safe to take it. I’m not really sure how strict the train personnel are on this topic either. 🙂

• The thread ‘Swiss Transfer Ticket – to/from different towns?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.