Swiss Transfer Ticket + Ski-Lift Pass

• GeoffT
    Participant
    3 posts
    4 March 2014 at 9:00:01 #806242

Your page on the Swiss Transfer Ticket says it can be linked with local ski=lift usage , but I can find no details or costs for this ? My (adult) son and I are meeting in Zermatt in April . He will be traveling Geneva – Zermatt ( for 7 days) – Geneva so is a Transfer Ticket appropriate or just a round-trip rail ticket ? And how to combine a Transfer Rail Ticket with ski-lifts in Zermatt and at what cost?

I am traveling Zurich -Zermatt( for 7days) – Geneva so again is a Transfer Ticket appropriate for me ? And how to combine this with Zermatt ski-lifts ?

Kind regards

GeoffT

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    4 March 2014 at 14:57:22 #839524

Hello GeoffT,

We meant to say that the Swiss Transfer Ticket plus a local ski pass are a good combination for winter sports holidays. It is not a combined product. Sorry if that was not clear. I have modified that section of the Swiss Transfer Ticket page.

A Swiss Transfer Ticket is cheaper than a round trip ticket Geneva Airport – Zermatt and also cheaper than a round trip ticket Zurich Airport – Zermatt. Prices of the Swiss Transfer Ticket are listed here.

Ski passes can be obtained locally. Details can be found on zermatt.ch. Note that you only need a ski pass if you are actually going to ski. If you only want to use the major lifts and trains to the viewing points (Gornergrat, Sunnegga, Klein Matterhorn, Schwarzsee), you’d better look into the Swiss Card: it is exactly like the Swiss Transfer Ticket but also includes a 50% discount on the lifts.

Hopefully this answers all your questions. Have a great time in Zermatt! If you have time it would be great if you could post a trip report about your experiences. You can win a hotel gift card by doing so.

GeoffT
    Participant
    3 posts
    6 March 2014 at 3:20:21 #839525

Dear Annika,

Many thanks for clearing up my misunderstanding on the Transfer Ticket. However, you have raised another question for me – Is it better for me as a non-skier to buy the Swiss Card with train journey to & from Zermatt + 50% discounts on cable car, versus a Swiss Transfer Ticket + Peaks Ticket which covers full cable car use in Zermatt ?

Many thanks for you help

Best wishes , GeoffT

Annika
    7121 posts
    6 March 2014 at 8:10:06 #839526

Hello GeoffT,

Well, you basically have 3 options:

1. Swiss Transfer Ticket + regular priced tickets to the peaks
    2. Swiss Card + discounted tickets to the peaks
    3. Swiss Transfer Ticket + the Zermatt Peak pass for free rides to the peaks

Which one is most economical depends on your travel plans. If you know or can estimate your travels, you can calculate the best option. In general I would say that option 2 or 3 is the best. Option 1 would only be cheaper if you visit one peak only, which is not likely as you stay for a week. The advantage of option 2 is that it includes discounts throughout Switzerland, so you could do a discounted day trip outside of Zermatt, e.g. to the Aletsch glacier. That’s a good option if the weather isn’t great in Zermatt or if you just want to see something else.

By the way, hotel suggestions for Zermatt are listed here.

GeoffT
    Participant
    3 posts
    13 March 2014 at 10:29:20 #839527

Dear Annika,

Sorry to ask you again about Swiss Transfer Ticket validity – does it need to be an exact Round Trip ? I plan to travel from Zurich to Zermatt and then leave Zermatt to Geneva. The Transfer Ticket conditions just state from the border to your destination and then back to the border , so can I had assumed this would cover my planned trip ? Thanks again for your advice

best wishes

GeoffT

Annika
    7121 posts
    13 March 2014 at 17:50:56 #839528

Dear GeoffT,

No problem, feel free to ask! Your point of entry and point of departure and the towns to travel to/from do not need to be the same. Basically the Swiss Transfer Tickets includes two single trips that may be the same route (A to B and back) or different routes (A to B and C to D). It’s all explained on the Swiss Transfer Ticket page.

• The thread ‘Swiss Transfer Ticket + Ski-Lift Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.