Swiss travel pass options

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2016 at 19:13:29 #808605

Hello, I along with my wife and her parents are planning a holiday to Switzerland end on May 2016. Looking out for options from couple of weeks but I am not able to finalise any as I am not much aware about the Travel pass for the places we have planned to visit. I would be very thank full to get suggestions and information on the travel pass. The itenary we have in mind is, 26 May we leave to Zurich from London, taking an early flight to reach by 10am. Then we take a train to Interlaken by 11.15 to allow us reach Interlaken by 2pm. We do the lakes tour that day. on 27 May we visit Mt Titlis. 28 May we visit Jungfrau. 29 we spend time at Interlaken. 30 May we return back to Zurich by noon. And we do Zurich that day and leave back to London on 31 May. I was just wanting to know if I should take a Swiss Golden Pass for this itenary or any other pass would be a better one. As I recon, Jungfrau and Titlis is not fully covered in the Swiss Golden Pass. Or should I go about with booking tickets separately, if that will be a better deal.

Secondly, if I can squeeze in a day out of Interlaken and do a days visit to Black forest from Zurich, will the travel be covered in the Swiss Pass? Thanks in advance! 🙂

Vik

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    13 March 2016 at 20:13:43 #849363

Hi Vik, thanks for joining us!

You seem to be a bit confused about the exact pass name. I think you’re referring to the Swiss Travel Pass, right? The Swiss Pass is something different (for Swiss residents only), and the Golden Pass is a train route.

Assuming it’s the Swiss Travel Pass you have in mind: all details are at our Swiss Travel Page, including a section on validity. As you’ll see, all regular train, bus and boat rides within Switzerland are fully covered. Mountain trips like Titlis and Jungfraujoch are discounted. When heading for the Black Forest, the pass will allow free traveling up to the Swiss/German border, but it’s not valid for the German section of this trip. By the way, this combined Rhine Falls and Black Forest tour from Zurich may interest you: http://www.viator.com/tours/B lack-Forest-and-Rhine-Falls-Day-Trip-from-Zurich.

Whether a Swiss Travel Pass is the best choice, depends on the exact details of your itinerary and on personal preferences. If you like the ease of ticketless traveling, a 4 day Swiss Travel Pass plus a Zurich Card is a good option. Price wise, you may compare this to the Swiss Half Fare Card as explained on our “How to choose” page. For both passes, please consult the pages I linked to for validity overviews and purchase options.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2016 at 21:52:50 #849364

Thanks a lot Annika this is very helpful

• The thread ‘Swiss travel pass options’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.