Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Travel Pass Flex?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2017 at 8:41:00 #813158

Hi

I am looking to travel from Zurich to zermatt and then to chur (stopover a day) to take bernina express to tirano.

Places intended to visit are Matterhorn and Pilatnus – I believe the Swiss travel pass provides discounts to certain rides.Can I check :

1. Does it makes sense to purchase the 3 day flexible pass (2nd class)?

2. I am from Singapore – can I purchase the Swiss travel pass online and just print it out?

3. For SBB train tickets – if certain tickets indicate high demand – do I need to make a seat reservation? Does the travel pass excludes the seat reservation price?

4. I have not bought the travel pass but have puchased bernina express tickets indicating I am using the second class travel pass – is there any issue of me purchasing the travel pass later?

5. Are there any discounts for the Swiss travel pass?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2017 at 11:13:00 #869369

Hi Crystal3 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. I’m not sure. How may days are you in Switzerland? If you are in Switzerland for 3 or 4 days I wouldn’t buy the Swiss Travel Pass Flex no.
    2. Yes, you can buy the Swiss Travel Pass online here and have it emailed to you for printing at home (make sure you select Singapore as country of residence and then hit search.
    3. You won’t need a seat ticket if you buy the Swiss Travel Pass unless the attraction/route isn’t fully covered by the pass. Mt. Pilatus is fully covered. But the mountains you can visit near the Matterhorn (you can’t visit the Matterhorn itself) are only 50% covered so you will need a ticket for Gornergrat or Klein Matterhorn/Glacier Paradise.
      Reservations are typcially not possible on any Swiss train (nor needed) except on the panoramic trains: Glacier Express, Bernina Express and Gotthard Express.
    4. This is fine as long as you have the Swiss Travel Pass before boarding the train.
    5. I’m not exactly clear what you mean…most trains are free with the Swiss Travel Pass. Some are discounted. A lot of museums are free as well. You can read all about what is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass here.

Cheers,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 September 2017 at 10:20:27 #869370

Hi Lucas

Thanks for your response! I be in Switzerland for 7 days in November. I am looking to travel from Zurich to Zermatt, Zermatt to chur and then Chur to Tirana via Bernina express on 3 different days, therefore my question is whether it makes economical sense to buy the 3 day flexible Swiss travel pass.

On the buying of Swiss pass, why did the sbb website request for delivery address when I try to purchase the pass? I have to select delivery options of either TNT express or airport collection with charges to it. how do I purchase the pass and Email to my address only?

shop.swissrailways.com /swissflexipass.html?&language=en&currency= CHF

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 September 2017 at 11:14:29 #869371

Hi Crystal,

The Swiss Travel Pass can be emailed to you, but at the moment they can’t email you the Swiss Travel Pass Flex. It is a physical document that must be shipped to you.

We have a few companies listed here where you can buy it from. HappyRail will ship it for free and takes up to 15 days which is fine for your itinerary.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 September 2017 at 0:58:35 #869372

Thanks. Lucas, this is very helpful.

for Swiss flex travel pass – if I am getting 3 days flexible pass, is the route to Mount Pilatnus considered as 1 of the 3 days within the pass usage? Or the 3 days refer to the usage of train tickets travel where the other discounted routes for the various mountains are just part of the perks?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 September 2017 at 1:12:07 #869373

Hi Crystal,

>> for Swiss flex travel pass – if I am getting 3 days flexible pass, is the route to Mount Pilatnus considered as 1of the 3 days within the pass usage?

Yes, you will need to use a travel day.

>> Or the 3 days refer to the usage of train tickets travel where the other discounted routes for the various mountains are just part of the perks?

The trip to and from Pilatus is free with the Swiss Travel Pass in 2017. But for other routes for which the Swiss Travel Pass only provides a discount, you still have to use a travel day to get the discount.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 September 2017 at 9:51:16 #869374

Hi Crystal,

Yes, if you use the Swiss Travel Pass (Flex or not) to get free or discounted access somewhere it counts as a travel day. If you get on a train or bus or cable car etc. you must validate the pass for that day.

I think for 7 days in Switzerland I would look at the 8 day Swiss Travel Pass(not Flex).

It can be emailed to you for printing which is much nicer. I assume you may be using some form of transport on most of your days – this way every day you are here you are covered! Much simpler in the end for you.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 September 2017 at 8:36:04 #869375

Thanks Lucas!

Other than the Bernina express which I have reserved for tickets, can I check do I need to make any reservation for the Pilantus Golden Circle Route, Klein Mattherhorn and Gornergrat?

Rgds,

Crystal

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 September 2017 at 21:03:10 #869376

No, you are all set. Reservations are only required on the panoramic trains like the Bernina Express.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2017 at 14:32:32 #869377

thank you Lucas, this is very helpful 🙂

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Travel Pass Flex?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.