Swiss travel pass for 8 days in August

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 July 2016 at 11:45:57 #809734

Hi Folks,

I am travelling in August and I would like to ask some questions from the Admin and other experienced travellers who just been there.

Q1- I will live 8 days in Swiss (4days in Zurich, 3 days in Basel and 1 day in Geneva). Can I go for a day spend some of the nice and beautiful places? if yes can you, please suggests me nice viewing.

Q2- I will buy Swiss travel pass for the 8 days, so I believe that I can travel as much as I can. Can I use boat or ship? If yes kindly recommended me which one is a better option. I heard that Geneva lake is a nice place.

Q3- Can I travel free and day spend in Jungfrau,Ruinaulta, Ice Pavilion, Staubbach Falls, Monte Tamaro, Stanserhorn – the friendliest mountain,Trift Bridge, Grindelwald, Lungren? (Sorry too many places but might be some of them are free to explore)

Q4- I would like to know that which cable car is best to see and if I get prices for return journey?

Q5- Which Scenic routes and Premium panorama trains are free or less costly? I can take trains or buses to reach my destination, I don’t mind.

Q6- I understand that this website created for those who wants to explore Swiss but is anyone here to help me find out a job market in Swiss? I am looking for recruitment agencies who give me a guideline.

I really appreciate that if you address my issues.

Kind regards

Omer

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    21 July 2016 at 13:52:41 #854434

Hi Omer,

Here are some answers:

Q1. I don’t fully understand you question. If you’re looking for day trips to be made from the towns you mentioned, please visit the pages below:

Note that Zurich, Basel and Geneva aren’t the best cities if you want to explore the Alps. Towns closer to the mountains (e.g. Lucerne or Interlaken) would be better if the Alps are your main focus, as they seem to be looking at your destination list under Q3.

Q2. Yes, that’s correct. Boats are included. Please see http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity to find exactly what’s covered and compare the several lake trips through http://www.myswissalps.com/a ctivities/scenictrips/ boat.

Q3. The timetable allows you to find details on trips to all of these destinations, as well as the “Route” tabs on our attraction pages. Which day trips are doable ultimately depends on your base towns and the amount of traveling you’re willing to do. Other details too can be found through our attraction pages. Especially note the “Tickets” tabs, that provide links to standard ticket prices and mention which amount of discount your Swiss Travel Pass provides.

Q4. There are lots of cable cars, so it’s hard to randomly advise which you should see. The main ones are listed at http://www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities/scenictrips (select “Mountain top” as your preferred attraction type from the drop-down list at the right).

Q5. All panoramic trains are covered under your Swiss Travel Pass (please check the validity link I provided above). All you may need additionally are separate seat reservations. Details can be found through http://www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities/scenictrips/t rain.

Q6. Indeed, that’s not something we can help you with. Some of the websites mentioned at http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/practic al/websites may serve as a starting point. Apart from that, you may have a look at http://www.thelocal.ch/jobs/ and http://www.jobs.ch/en/.

I hope this helps you out!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 July 2016 at 8:44:29 #854435

Hello Annika,

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry about my Q1. I mean that I will stay there only and I am with you there are not such an important things to explore.

I am just wondering, you mentioned that all panoramic trains are covered. How about Scenic routes?

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards

Omer

Arno
    15471 posts
    22 July 2016 at 12:27:39 #854436

Hi Omer,

I understand. Well, you might be better off picking different towns, closer to the things you’d like to see. Please see Annika’s tips.

Panoramic trains and scenic routes are basically the same thing. All train routes in Switzerland are covered, please see the link under Q2 in Annika’s post. Whether you take a “regular” train or a “special” panoramic train (if available) is up to you. In the latter case a seat reservation might be compulsory. Our train pages explain all about it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 July 2016 at 21:18:13 #854437

Hi Arno,

Thank you for your reply. I am just wondering if I buy travel pass, how will I reserve my seat? will I get some code when I will buy?

I am definitely will follow her direction. You both are the superstar. I hope after this tour, I will also help others.

Kind regards

Omer

Arno
    15471 posts
    24 July 2016 at 9:27:37 #854438

Hi Omer,

Seat reservations are not needed in Switzerland, apart from a few tourist trains. Please see myswissalps.com/ train/reservations. If you need or want reservations you need to buy them separately. They are not associated with your pass in any way. My advice is not to buy reservations apart from the rare cases where it’s required. Just get your pass (see here for options) and board any train you like.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 July 2016 at 11:24:04 #854439

Hi Arno,

Can you please tell me some example which trains need to reserve at least I will not take a risk to go there.

Have all trains wifi? just wondering

Do I need to take my passport all the time like Germany?

Regards

Omer

Arno
    15471 posts
    24 July 2016 at 12:05:44 #854440

Hi Omer,

The timetable warns you for such trains. It’s all explained on the page I referred to. The Bernina and Glacier Express require reservations.

Please see myswissalps.com/train/ practical/internet and myswissalps.com/simcar d.

Yes, you do need your passport for identification, and also your Swiss Travel Pass would not be valid without it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 July 2016 at 13:31:02 #854441

Hi Arno,

Can you please see an attached file for me? It’s a GoldenPass line. Do you think it’s cover on Swiss travel pass? I also saw that some scenic routes’ durations are 8 hours journey. Is it possible for me to go for a short trip rather than full 8 hours?

As you mentioned that Bernina and Glacier express required reservation so it means that they are not covered on Swiss travel.

Many thanks

Omer

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 July 2016 at 13:39:52 #854442

File detail

Arno
    15471 posts
    24 July 2016 at 13:45:24 #854443

Hi Omer,

Sure, it’s covered, please see the link Annika gave you under Q2.

You can make any trip you like, there are no restrictions.

The Swiss Travel Pass covers all trains. Seat reservations are separate, but the trip is still free; you do not need a ticket.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 August 2016 at 18:59:48 #854444

Hi Arno & Annika,

I am just wondering, can I buy Swiss Travel pass for 8 days at Geneva airport? Is there any price differences online or at the airport?

I am trying to buy a ticket from 9th-16th Aug but online showing a date from 8th-15th Aug. Now I don’t need to book from 8th of Aug.

Thank you

Omer

Annika
    7104 posts
    5 August 2016 at 19:42:21 #854445

Hi Omer,

All purchase options are listed here. As you can see there, you can buy it at staffed train stations (e.g. at the airport), and online. Online is more convenient and also much cheaper: GBP 261 per person through http://www.acprail.com/rail-passes/swiss-pass and GBP 279 through http://www.swisstravelsystem. co.uk. Locally it would cost you CHF 363 (about GBP 283). You would have to wait for a ticket office and possibly miss the first available train. Also you’d pay in CHF so banking fees might be added.

I’d recommend to order today as it takes a few days to process orders. I checked the second website I mentioned and unfortunately it’s too late to buy through them. The first website should still work.

I don’t know why you only got a start date of the 8th. I did not see any issues on any of the websites listed on our page.

Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 August 2016 at 21:23:56 #854446

Hi Annika,

Thank you for your reply.

1st option: Does Acprail rail provide e-ticket or just deliver at home because they can send it 5-10 working days.

Option 2 & 3: has same issues that I mentioned previously and I don’t know why it’s showing me 8th of Aug instead my own date might be they consider from Monday.

I am arriving in Geneva on the 9th of August. My hostel is just 15mins from the airport by train and I am not rush to go different cities on the same day. If prices have not very differenced then I can buy swiss travel pass at the Geneva airport if Option 1st will not provide E-ticket (what do you suggest).

Thank you

Omer

Annika
    7104 posts
    6 August 2016 at 5:43:16 #854447

Hi Omer,

ACP still offers passes for your travel date (at least yesterday they did), so I suppose they can get them to you in time. They don’t offer e-tickets. Today is Saturday so it might be too late now.

You will pay substantially more in Geneva, as you can see in my previous post and the price overview.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 August 2016 at 6:47:17 #854448

Hi Omer-

<<“Q6- I understand that this website created for those who wants to explore Swiss but is anyone here to help me find out a job market in Swiss? I am looking for recruitment agencies who give me a guideline.”>>

Getting a job in Switzerland, if you are not a Swiss citizen or you do not carry a Schengen passport is complex.

I any case, you will need a permit from the Canton where you plan to work, and that may require a residence permit.

Indeed, I would spend some time on the Internet to understand the process even before looking.

Not surprisingly, there are a lot of people who would like to get a job in Switzerland.

The SwissInfo.ch web site is useful for a start:

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/s witzerland-how-to

<<“Q1- I will live 8 days in Swiss (4days in Zurich, 3 days in Basel and 1 day in Geneva). Can I go for a day spend some of the nice and beautiful places? if yes can you, please suggests me nice viewing.”>>

By the way, in English, the name of the country is “Switzerland” not “Swiss.” That is a little confusing if you know the name in other European languages – der Schweiz in German, la Suisse in French, for example. In English, “Swiss” is an adjective.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 August 2016 at 11:37:14 #854449

Hi Slowpoke,

Thank you for your reply. I understand that if you are not Swiss citizen or you do not carry a European passport is difficult.

Do you know any recruitment agencies in Zurich/Geneva for accountancy?

Omer

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 August 2016 at 15:00:02 #854450

Hi Omer –

<<“I understand that if you are not Swiss citizen or you do not carry a European passport is difficult. “>

More specifically, not simply a European passport, but a passport from one of the countries that are signatories to the Schengen Treaty on Free Movements of Peoples. The UK is not a signatory, for example. Although some may question whether it is part of Europe 😉

The Swiss have adopted the Schengen Agreement conditions, although there is some potential modification of that in the works. The Swiss voted to establish some form of border controls, and the federal government is trying to figure out how to accomplish that.

Further, work permits are controlled by the Cantons, not simply the federation. You can work in Switzerland if you have a work permit, which will require some form of a residency permit or visa or both.

eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=uriserv:l33020

<<“Do you know any recruitment agencies in Zurich/Geneva for accountancy?”>>

I do not.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Swiss travel pass for 8 days in August’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.