Swiss Travel Pass on train from Italy

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 February 2016 at 4:58:19 #808366

If I buy one of the Swiss rail passes for use over 8 days in August, can it be used for the Swiss part of a continuous journey from Milan to Lucerne? And what if I change trains at, say, Lugano?

… John H

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    4 February 2016 at 5:20:42 #848150

Hi John,

Absolutely. You need a Swiss Travel Pass and a ticket from the border (Chiasso) to Milan. Please see here for where to get those:

Whether or where you change trains does not matter. Normally you would take a direct train and stay seated.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2016 at 7:35:35 #848151

Thank you Arno. I’m happy with the Swiss side of the border. But I don’t know how to find out if Milan-Lucerne trains stop at Chiasso. If I have a ticket to Chiasso and the train doesn’t stop there, will I be allowed to board the train at all?And even if it does stop at Chiasso, it seems from what you say above that I don’t need to get off there. But what about the initial dating and validation of my Swiss Travel Pass? (Because that will be the first of the 8 days we’re buying.) Can that be done on the train?

Arno
    15483 posts
    10 February 2016 at 12:17:53 #848152

Hi John,

Chiasso is where validity of the Swiss Travel Pass starts, and as far as I know all trains stop there (see the timetable). There’s no need to get off the train there, but you can if you like. Normally you buy the pass and the ticket for the Italian leg in advance and stay seated.

If the pass needs to be validated at all, it can be done on the train (see here). If you buy the pass through http://www.swissrailways.com/ en they’ll e-mail it to you and you simply print it at home. You can fill out the blank fields manually and you’re ready to go. No further validation needed. For more purchase options, please see the links in my previous post.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass on train from Italy’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.