Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card?

• Xtine2021
    Participant
    4 posts
    6 July 2021 at 1:56:18 #825912

Ok, I know it probably seems really easy for most people to figure out this rail pass but I’m a little confused. I’ve gone to a couple websites to get prices for trains and they’re all over the place.

I have a trip planned and here it goes:

Geneva airport to Hotel in Geneva

Geneva city to Nyon and then boat to Yvoire and return back to Geneva

Geneva to Montreux

Montreux to Gruyere and back to Montreux

Montreux to Lauterbrunnen

Lauterbrunnen back to Geneva airport

I’m wondering if it’s best to do a 1/2 price one or should I get the Swiss travel pass?? or just pay full price since I’m not going too many places??

Help!! LOL!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    6 July 2021 at 7:22:40 #935597

Hi Xtine2021,

Yes it can get very confusing with the all the different railpasses available. Have your read our short guide on how to choose the best rail pass? Maybe this will give you a good overview of what’s best for your trip.

Just to give you an idea what the prices are like without any railpass or discounts: a single trip from Geneva to Montreux is about CHF30. A single trip from Montreux to Lauterbrunnen is CHF80. So 2 single trips will cost you more than CHF100. If you are making more than a few return trips, I would definitely recommend getting a railpass. A Swiss Travel Pass offers the most flexibility and convenience as you just need one ticket for all your trips. A Swiss Half Fare Card would save you a lot if you have planned just a few or relatively short trips and want to take advantage of the discounts on cable cars and mountain railways.

There is currently a promotion on the Swiss Travel Pass. If you get it between 1 and 31 July, you’ll enjoy a 25% discount: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/promotions

I hope this eases your confusion.

Regards,

Anna

Xtine2021
    Participant
    4 posts
    6 July 2021 at 11:36:36 #935598

Yes Thanks so much!!

I’m traveling with my son who is 12 yrs old, he is free when riding with me on either pass?

I’m trying to decide between the 1/2 and the travel pass. I feel like I’m not doing that much traveling but wonder if I’ll do more once I’m there.

Thanks Anna!! I love this website and will share with any friends who are lucky enough to go to Switzerland! 😉

Anna
    6382 posts
    6 July 2021 at 14:32:51 #935599

Hi Xtine2021,

When you buy either the Swiss Travel Pass or the Swiss Half Fare Card, you will get a complimentary Swiss Family Card that allows your son to travel along for free. More info here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swissfamilycard

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.