Swiss Travel Pass & route from Lucerne to Venice

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 October 2016 at 9:04:11 #810281

Hi,

Urgently need your help s will travel in the next few days to Switzerland.

Would like to check if I should buy the 4D Swiss travel pass based on following itinerary:-

1. Zurich airport to interlaken, from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen – by train

2. Lauterbrunnen to Murren ( stay 2 night at Murrren) – by train & cable car

3. From Murren will move back to Interlaken and go to Lucerne ( stay one night)

4. From Lucerne will go to Venice, italy

2. If i buy the swiss travel pass, when travel from Lucerne to venice, do I need to book the train online (eurotrain/italino train)? Should just hoop in to the train since I have the swiss travel pass based on the option below?:-

Option A:-

Lucerne to Arth Gldau (cover by swiss tvel pass?)

Arth Gldau to Milan (cover by swiss travel pass?)

Milan to Venice ( book via Italian train)

Option B:

Lucerne to Chiasso (Covered by Swiss pass? or I need to book via online?

Chiasso to Venice ( only book this route via sbb website internationla journey if i have swiss pass?)

Or kindly suggest what is the correct way to travel by train with swiss travel pass from Lucerne to Venice.I am getting confused how should i book the ticket to venice from lucerne, as it seems I might be double pay for the train tickets( not sure…)

Thanks so much!

Spring

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    25 October 2016 at 10:12:58 #856766

Hi Spring,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! You can find details on the Swiss Travel Pass page. You can download the map to see what’s covered, and read about how to deal with trips that are not completely covered, like the Italian leg in your case. You do not need tickets for legs covered by the pass. Just let us know if any questions remain after reading that.

The Swiss Travel Pass can be printed at home as you can see here. You will save waiting time at the airport that way. To do so, please visit http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the pass (no delivery fees) within 1-3 business days. As you live in Malaysia you can also try http://www.raileurope.com.sg/ pass/swiss-travel-pass-82. They also sell the tickets for the Italian leg. I’m not sure when exactly you travel but right now you can still get passes for the 28th.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 October 2016 at 13:19:31 #856767

Hi,

Thanks for your replied. I have checked the train coverage & information provided, would like to be sure that I can actually use Swiss travel pass for Lucerne to Chiasso but have to add on ticket from Chiasso to Venice, is my understanding correct?

Thank you.

Spring

Arno
    15471 posts
    25 October 2016 at 13:49:41 #856768

Hi Spring,

Yes, that’s correct. You can get the Chiasso to Venice ticket from any of the websites listed here and stay seated in Chiasso.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 October 2016 at 15:58:18 #856769

Thanks so much! This is very helpful.

Based on your replied, I tried to search the SBB train schedule from Lucerne to Chiasso to determine the checkout time from hotel. Noticed that there are several departure time and route ., Kindly confirm that swiss travel pass only cover the route that travel by Urban train, IC-tilting train, InterRegio, or Voralpen-Express? I should avoid to choose the route that connect via Eurocity, is my understanding correct?

Thank you.

Arno
    15471 posts
    25 October 2016 at 17:23:31 #856770

Hi Spring,

The Eurocity trains are the ones going straight to Italy, so you should not avoid those. The Swiss Travel Pass works on all train types, please see the map page I referred to.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass & route from Lucerne to Venice’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.