Swiss Travel Pass - routes and discounts

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
xumary83
xumary83
2 posts
May 14, 2015 - 11:41 AM

Hi,

I've been doing some research and planning for my upcoming trip to Switzerland, and have found a lot of very useful information on this site.

I plan to purchase a Swiss Travel Pass and have looked through the various websites and maps to see the routes that are covered as free train travel and the routes where the pass provides a discount. I still have a question on the Lötschberg RegioExpress. Is the dotted line along the Lötschberg RegioExpress (from the SBB "area of validity" map) indicating a tunnel or that it's a route with 50% discount?

Would really appreciate any help to clarify this!

Mary

Last modified on May 14, 2015 - 11:51 AM by xumary83
Annika
Annika
5005 posts
expert &
May 14, 2015 - 11:57 AM

Hi Mary,

That's a tunnel, and it's fully covered. It's explained on myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/validity. The various points of sale can be found on myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/price.

Enjoy your train trips!

xumary83
xumary83
2 posts
May 14, 2015 - 12:31 PM in reply to Annika

Thanks Annika!

One more question - I'm picking between a Swiss Travel Pass (8 days) or a half fare card. I'm mostly taking short trips during the 8 days (Zurich to Luzern to Interlaken etc).

Do both passes / cards offer 25% discount on the train to Jungfraujoch? Or does the half fare card entitle me to 50% discount on this train as well?

Annika
Annika
5005 posts
expert &
May 15, 2015 - 5:48 AM

Hi Mary!

The Swiss Travel Pass offers free traveling up to Wengen/Grindelwald, and a 25% discount on the remaining part. The Swiss Half Fare Card gives 50% off the entire route. You can check the Swiss Travel Pass validity and the Swiss Half Fare Card validity overviews for a detailed comparison.

Here are further tips that may help you decide which pass is best.

Last modified on May 15, 2015 - 9:18 AM by Arno

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019