Swiss Travel Pass vs Eurorail vs Rail Europe? Help

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 August 2017 at 14:06:20 #813126

Hi I’m arriving to Zurich on Nov 1 in the afternoon, and leaving on Nov 4 in the morning to Germany … I want to check the mountains in Swiss specially Jungfraujoch, also Pilatus and Titlis. I checked that there are 3 passes, the Swiss Travel Pass, the Eurorail Pass(swiss+germany) and the RailEurope Pass(swiss+germany) … can you tell me which one is better for going to Jungfraujoch, Pilatus and Titlis, or if they are all the same?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 August 2017 at 15:00:03 #869201

Hi Justtrin and welcome to MySwissAlps!

No, they don’t offer the same discounts on Swiss trains. The Swiss Travel Pass will give you the best discounts but only in Switzerland. You can find a list of the major attractions in Switzerland and the discounts available for each pass here:

RailEurope is a company that sells rail passes so you may be confusing that with the Eurail pass (select).

The best option is to plan out all your rail trips in Switzerland and Germany and do the math – it is the only way to know for sure. We have a web page here with an Excel sheet to help on this.

Cheers,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 August 2017 at 15:11:03 #869202

Thanks a lot for the quick response. Do you know where can I get the Swiss Travel Pass with paypal payment? I see that it gets me the Pilatus cablecar for free so I’m all in … then Jungfraujoch is additional in everypass …

Can you tell me If I have to reserve/book the train tickets in advance from plate to place with Swiss Travel Pass 2nd Class? I want to travel together with my girlfriend, and choose the seats next to each other. Or that’s not necesary to reserve?

Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2017 at 6:06:56 #869203

Hi Justtrin,

I haven’t come across many rail sites that accept PayPal unfortunately. You can try RailEurope’s US website here, it may offer it.
    Otherwise. we have a link for several sites to buy your Swiss Travel Pass here with your credit card. You can have them emailed to you for printing at home so it is the most convenient option.

Reservations are not required or needed on most Swiss trains. The only exceptions are the panoramic trains where they are required: Gotthard Panoramic Express, Glacier Express and Bernina Express.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2017 at 13:58:30 #869204

I cant find any place that sells it through paypal 🙁

One more question, I asked and Glacier Express is closed for November. Is there a website that tells you which attractions are closed or open?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2017 at 17:35:07 #869205

No unfortunately not. Some mountains (and some panoramic trains) will close temporarily for maintenance due to it being the slow season. They typically close for 2 to 4 week sometime between late October and early December.

Best thing to do is look through our list of Swiss activities here, then visit the mountains website and check their timetables. Not all are closed. Schilthorn cable car closes from 13th of November to 9th of December (for example). Mt. Pilatus‘ cogwheel train closes in the winter but you can still access the mountain via cable car.

Lucas

Arno
    15484 posts
    31 August 2017 at 18:22:57 #869206

Hi Justtrin,

Even though the Glacier Express does not operate, you can still do the exact same route on regulars trains if you like. The Glacier Express page Lucas linked to offers more details.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2017 at 20:28:55 #869207

Thank you both. I’m gonna check the website.

My main concern now is that I do need to pay with paypal, and I can’t find any place to do so =(

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2017 at 3:23:29 #869208

>> My main concern now is that I do need to pay with paypal, and I can’t find any place to do so =(

Have you considered getting a Visa- or MasterCard-branded cash card? You load them up with cash in advance, then use them like a credit card. You can reload when you run out of funds.

Otherwise perhaps you could go to a travel agent where you live and buy it through them in cash.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2017 at 3:28:56 #869209

>> Hi I’m arriving to Zurich on Nov 1 in the afternoon, and leaving on Nov 4 in the morning to German … Swiss Travel Pass … I see that it gets me the Pilatus cablecar for free so I’m all in

The Pilatus cable car will be closed when you are there, as it closes between 23 Oct and 10 Nov 2017 for maintenance. The cogwheel train from Alpnachstad to Pilatus will be operating though, so you can go up and back that way, and it is free with the Swiss Travel Pass.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass vs Eurorail vs Rail Europe? Help’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.