Swiss Travel Passes for 5 adults and 5 children

• Gailannski
    Participant
    45 posts
    6 July 2022 at 13:42:08 #827698

I am helping a tourist family of 5 adults and 5 children (all between 7-12) with arranging their Swiss Travel Passes. (Traveling next June) From what I have read, 1 child is free with each adult with a pass. I have a couple of questions:

1. The family group may split up for certain excursions. Can 1 adult accompany 2 children on their pass? Or does it always have to be 1 adult and 1 child? Does it always have to be the same child paired with the same adult?

2. They are planning on buying their passes online at SBB so they can have their passes digitally on their phones. I understand a child is added as an additional passenger on the app, but I see that they also need the Swiss Family Card. On the SBB site it says that the Swiss Family card can be obtained at all railway stations and points of sale worldwide, but doesn’t mention online. Does this mean that if they buy their 15 day travel passes online that they would still have to stop at a train station office to add the family card?

3. If they have to stop at the train station office anyway, I would think it would be easier for them to just buy it all at the train station and be clear about everything. If they have set up an SBB account and have the app, can those passes purchased at the train station be put on their apps?

Thank you for the help!

Gail

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2022 at 17:55:52 #944006

Hi Gail,

If the parents buy the Swiss Travel Pass, their children can get the Swiss Family Card – so children travel for free. More information about the Swiss Family Pass and how it works can be found here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swissfamilycard. One Swiss Family Card can be used for 1 to 5 children, but if you plan to split up then you need two.

There is a similar Children’s Co-Travelcard if they are not the parent of the children.

Note, that children under 5.99 years old do not need anything – they travel for free everywhere. The passes above are for children between 6 and 15.99 years old.

You can get the Swiss Travel Passes here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/price. I recommend the SBB shop for tourists to buy the Swiss Travel Pass (and Swiss Family Cards). You can choose the number of Swiss Family Cards there.

Here is how they can store their Swiss Family Passes on the phone: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/howtouse.

I hope this helps,

Ildiko

Gailannski
    Participant
    45 posts
    7 July 2022 at 13:44:32 #944007

Thank you so much Ildiko! I see now how it’s done. Once they get to the actual purchasing of the passes, it then makes sense. And I see I was interpreting the SBB site wrong in thinking that it was one parent to one child.

Thank you also for those great links. Those are very helpful!

Gail

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Passes for 5 adults and 5 children’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.