Swiss trip for 6 days

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2010 at 4:08:26 #803919

Hi,
    I am planning for a trip to Switzerland in Aug 2010. I have a son who will be 10 months old then. I would like to know if it is safe to carry the baby to high altitude mountains like jungfraujoch, titlis, etc. or I should plan my travel avoiding all the mountain tops(which I feel not worth a trip to swiss). My plan is to stay in Interlaken for 4 days and Lucerne for 2 days. My arrival and departure will be in Zurich. I appreciate if somebody could provide me some itinerary for these 6 days.

If I had to cut down my trips to mountain top, should I reduce my stay in Swiss.

Also, pls. suggest me which pass will suit me. Is it a full swiss pass or half pass.

Thanks,
    Suresh

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    22 June 2010 at 11:43:32 #831568

Hello Suresh, and welcome to the forum! As far as I know, short stays at high altitudes shouldn’t be a problem with your 10 month old baby. Long stays, such as an overnight stay, should be avoided, but visits of a few hours mostly don’t cause problems. High altitude sickness can happen to anyone though and it can be recommended to take your time when travelling to high altitudes and to be aware of early symptoms with your baby. Good information can be found on the Jungfrau railways website and on this website.

During you stay in Interlaken your could visit Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn (which are considered to be true highlights), take the cog railway up to Schynige Platte, make a cable car ride up to Männlichen or First, make a boat trip over lake Thun or lake Brienz – and so on. There are many activities which can be done from Interlaken. Please take a look at this day trip overview and see what appeals to you. From Lucerne, you could get up to Titlis (from Engelberg), Rigi and Pilatus. The cog railway up to Rigi is even for free with a Swiss Pass. A boat trip over lake Lucerne is a wonderful day trip as well. If weather is bad, stroll along the streets of Lucerne or visit the Verkehrshaus (a traffic museum).

You can plan your trips using the timetable. Timetables for mountain railways and cable cars are often listed at the web sites of the transportation companies. Many of them are listed in this overview.

As for rail passes: exact calculations should be made to find out which pass is most economical in your case. This would require you to find out what trips you want to make first. Instructions on this can be found in the rail FAQ. If you plan to travel quite intensively on (almost) each day of your stay, a Swiss Pass would be a good option. It offers ease of use, as you can simply get on and off board in trains, buses and boats, without having to purchase tickets for each journey. If, on the other hand, you’ll mostly make rather short trips from Lucrerne and Interlaken, a Swiss Half Fare Card may well turn out to be the cheapest solution.

I hope this gets you started!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 July 2010 at 14:48:09 #831569

Thank you very much for the info…. I am really sorry for the late reponse… have been very busy that I couldnt plan my trip… now i have booked the hotels in interlaken(4 days) and brunnen near lucerne (3 days)…. As i mentioned before, i have 10 months old baby… could you please provide me more info on which day trips would be suitable for my conditions…. like trip to Adelboden is confirmed.. that will take me 1 day and jungfrauhoch will take me 1 day… so im not sure what should i do for the remaining 2 days in interlaken…. also, if you could give me some tips about daytrips around lucerne that would be very helpful…

again thank u very much for the initial information that you have provided….

Annika
    7103 posts
    22 July 2010 at 4:14:06 #831570

Hello Suresh, I’m glad that the information provided before has been helpful. Tips on day trips from Interlaken and Lucerne have been listed in my previous post. If you follow the links, you’ll get a good impression of these trips. In the end you’ll have to decide for yourself what appeals to you most. If your baby doesn’t seem to suffer from high altitude sickness, it’s no problem to make a few cable car rides, such as Rigi and Pilatus along lake Lucerne. I’d recommend a boat trip as well, as this is a very easy and relaxing excursion. Boat trips can be made at Lake Lucerne (the link has already been given) and at Lake Thun and Lake Brienz from Interlaken.

Have fun with your further preparations!

• The thread ‘Swiss trip for 6 days’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.