Swiss trip planning required – April

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2013 at 10:22:05 #805863

What is great site this is- though still I wanted to start anew thread !
    I am arriving at noon in Geneva airport with my spouse andtwo kids ( 10 & 6) on 3rd April. I have booked my departure on 7th April at9am to Paris(TGV) from Bern
    I am planning to stay in Interlaken all nights (I haven’tbooked it ) . My goal is also to keep the cost to minimum.
    Here is my tentative itinerary:
    3rd April: Take Train to Interlaken via Gstaad ( Goldenpass? ) . Overnight at Interlaken
    4th April: Visit Jungfrau, Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwel ,Trumellbachfalls, Schilthorn.. Overnight at Interlaken
    5th April: Visit Lucerne: Boat ride ( William Tell express ?) , Mount Pilatus ? Overnight at Interlaken
    6th April: Need suggestion. Not sure if Zurich is too city-like?Overnight at Interlaken
    7th April: Catch train to Bern and then to Paris.

Following are my questions:
    1. can you suggest a good itinerary? is 4th April too ambitious ?
    2. Can I take “any” train from Geneva and Montreux to Interlaken (not Golden express).As the website shows there is no reservation available. Where do I book forreservation in Geneva or Montreux . I like not to book online, as I like tokeep the agenda flexible
    3. Famous Swiss pass vs. point-to-point query. 4+1 1st classpass is too costly, I would settle for 4 day pass + last day of point to point.Another thought is I will stay at Bern (if I get good hotels closer to trainstation) on 6th April itself. Any suggestions?
    3a. My second daughter’s turns 6 on 3rd April –Do I still buy ½ ticket on 7Th April
    4. I would like to visit some good countryside on 6th April.Will taking Glacier/Bernina express be better – but only half way (as I can’tafford 8 full hours ) ? any other suggestion ?
    5. On Train to Lucerne from Interlaken, should it be againGolden express. Where do I get reservation ?
    6. Will staying in Lucerne be easier, than All nights atInterlaken ? ( I haven’t booked the hotel yet )
    7. Any other suggestions on the itinerary? We would like to see more snow ( in April),more scenic places than cities and museums.

Thanks in Advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    18 March 2013 at 1:41:29 #838260

Hi ssathish,

Thanks for your compliments; that’s good to hear! As for your questions:

1. April 4 is too ambitious indeed. I suggest to move half of your plans to April 6. The Trümmelbach Falls open in early April, but the exact day depends on the weather, so you need to check for that locally. As costs are important to you: on April 5 you can consider to visit the Rigi mountain and combine that with a boat ride from Vitznau back to Lucerne. This whole trip would be free with your Swiss Pass.
    2. You can take any other train and then you do not need a reservation. You can just board with your pass.
    3. I agree with you that a 4-day Swiss Saver Pass is a good idea. Your children travel along for free if you order along the free Swiss Family Card. You could travel to Bern in the evening of April 6 using your pass, thus saving more money. Where are you from? In India, you can get the pass here. All purchase options, delivery times and further details are listed here. Hotels near the Bern rail station are here.
    3a. You don’t need tickets for the children. See 3.
    4. See 1. I would advice to do some hiking. Suggestions are listed here, but please check locally which trails are open as many high altitude trails will still be covered in snow.
    5. You can take any train, see 2.
    6. Interlaken is the best base for your plans. Suggested hotels near the rail stations can be found here.
    7. See my comments above. I think you’ll have a great trip. Now hope for good weather!

Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2013 at 9:57:26 #838261

Thanks, tips were very useful !

• The thread ‘Swiss trip planning required – April’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.