Swiss webcams during the coronavirus

• EigerTyger
    Participant
    22 posts
    26 March 2020 at 20:42:46 #825474

Folks,

Here’s a suggestion while we wish we were in Switzerland:

Everyday I enjoy going to the Swiss Webcam site to view what’s happening over there. Some of my favorites are Lake Geneva from Cully, Andermatt Bazberg, Kandersteg, Zermatt and many more. I particularly enjoy the 24 hour time lapse.

It helps me feel like I’m not confined to my home environs.

Eiger Tyger

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2020 at 20:53:14 #931598

Hi EigerTyger,

I like your suggestion 🙂 And also thanks for the tips. I will check them too.

I wish I would have a VR headset so I could “walk” using Google Maps app outside. Once I’ve tried it in Lucerne at the Swiss Museum of Transport, it was unbelievable.

We were planning to go to Lugano and Lake Como for Eastern holiday. Now, we do not go anywhere. I bought a puzzle about Lake Como, I will play with that instead of traveling.

Take care,

Ildiko

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    27 March 2020 at 3:02:00 #931599

Hello Eiger Tyger,

Are you referring to the following website ? fr.swisswebcams.ch/ (also available in German, English, and Italian).

Just in case you haven’t seen it, take a look at the Roundshot website. This link brings you to a page with a map of Switzerland, with coloured circles indicating the number of cameras in various regions. If you click on a circle (for instance the 29 near Lausanne) the map will zoom in on that area. A single red ring indicates the location of a Roundshot camera and the blue circle means there are a number of cameras within that smaller area (for instance 6 near Montreux). If you click on that 6, the map will enlarge more to show 4 red rings and a 2 in a blue circle in Vevey. Clicking on that blue circle will show the location of the two cameras there. Back one click you will see a red circle on les Rochers-de-Naye. Nothing much to see right now as it is still night but it has a great panoramic view during the day. There is also one on the Säntis (SG) which I like to watch the sun rise. Check out the one on San Salvatore just south of Lugano !

Maloja_Snake
    Participant
    82 posts
    27 March 2020 at 6:10:38 #931600

We’re singing the same tune. I daily receive my Swiss Alps sustenance from visiting Peterli’s recommendations at :

http://www.roundshot.com/xml_1/internet/en/application/d170/f172.cfm

My favorites are: sils.roundshot.co/ and kirchbuehl.roundshot.com/

But also there is a whole network of live action cameras at webcams.windy.com/webcams/stream/1455494561

Weather and time of day make a difference.; but I visit these sites pretty much daily, and watching the seasonal changes is fascinating…

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    27 March 2020 at 6:17:37 #931601

Just looked at the Sils roundshot for the first time. Very nice indeed. A few minutes ago the rising sun was dazzling the camera lens.

Here is a excellent map that shows the location of oodles of Roundshot cameras in Switzerland. http://www.kaikowetter.ch/roundshotschweizbeta.html Click on any of the red rings and you will see mini panoramas of the cameras that are available. For instance, if you click on the ring in Fribourg, you will see the 7 “kameras”, labels are in German, so Gruyères is shown as Greyerz. They also show the elevation (in metres) for each location. Please note that these mini-panoramas are not clickable; they do not link to the actual cameras.

You can also connect to Swiss radio on your computer to add to the realism.

Maloja_Snake
    Participant
    82 posts
    27 March 2020 at 6:52:42 #931602

I reside in a thirty third story highrise apt in Manhattan overlooking the New York Harbor; I see the Statue of Liberty, and Ellis Island from my living room picture window. So the aesthetic beauty of the Swiss Alps is like catnip to my sensibilities.

I was drawn to Sils Maria three years ago (and have visited three times since; and was planning a fourth visit this July) because of my admiration for the writings of Friedrich Nietzsche, who spent most of the summers of the 1880’s writing his most profound and beautifully poetic works. In his books, he often spoke of the inspiration of Sils, and that his daily routine included hiking around the area and the lakes for several hours each day. He believed that philosophic profundity was only possible (or at least likely) by thinking on the move, not sitting at a desk. The works he created at Sils Maria in the 1880’s suggest that he was correct. Sils hosts a Nietzsche museum (In the house where he boarded) and several of the hiking trails and the chaste that he heralds.

• The thread ‘Swiss webcams during the coronavirus’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.