Thanks to the team of myswissalps and its community, it helped me and my wife tremendously in planning wonderful Switzerland trip for 10 days in April.
Below was our itinerary
Day 1 - landed at Zurich airport from Berlin.
- Bought STP for 15 days as we did calculation and it turns out cheaper for 10 days. Do your math right here based on per day travel cost, mountain visits, lake travels etc. STP helps you to save lots of money.
- Took immediate train to Luzern which was our first base
- Checked into airbnb and immediately went for Mt. Rigi visit which can be covered in 1/2 days
Day 2 - Planned Voralpen Express tour from Luzern to St. Gallen and back.
- We found lots of nice & cute alpine villages on the way & wanted to get down to take photos but my wife said to get down on the way back.
- But we couldn't do the same as it was raining heavily on the way back and we missed nice shots.
- If you've STP just get down at one of the nice places, take loads of pictures and then take next train.
- Instead of taking same train on the way back, you could take St. Gallen to Zurich which is one of the scenic trains as well and travel back to Luzern
Day 3 - This day we had to check-in to Interlaken which was our 2nd base. We took the intercity train from Luzern to Interlaken ( this is first part of Golden Line Pass ). To our surprise 2nd class coaches were jam packed and half of them were already reserved. Either you skip train around 9:00 or take earlier or later one.
Sit on the right side of the train, this is as well one of the most scenic train journey.
Reached Interlaken, checked-in to airbnb and went to visit Beatenberg. But again weather was not good, it was cold and rainy most of the time. After reaching Beatenberg we walked around the village and could get our first pictures with swiss cows with bells.
Day 4 - We did remaining 2 parts of Golden Pass line trains. This was one of the most memorable day in the trip. On the way to Montreux, we got down at one of the village stop. Walked around the village and luckily met a farmer and understood lots of things about Alps farming. He was kind enough to let us walk on the hill where his cows were grazing. We spent few hours with cows and amazing Swiss Alps. Then went to Montreux had nice Sushi and took same route back to Interlaken. Around evening again we got down at another village and walked into Cow barn and saw how cows are milked with machines.
Day 5 - This day we went to Ballenberg Open Air Museum and tried to cover as much possible. It is really big and nice to get information about Swiss culture and village life in earlier days. This day weather was little ok, it snowed a bit but overall it was good day.
Day 6 - This day weather was really bad, very cold and snowing whole time. We visited Blausee, which is little far from Interlaken. Train journey was nice and good to be inside train when it was snowing. On the way back we did Brienzsee Lake boat tour ( Brienz - Interlaken Ost ). Later in evening we took train to Täsch, which was our 3rd base
Day 7 - This was our marriage anniversary day and wanted to do something really special. What can you do other than "Glacier Express" crown of trains across world.
Glacier Express ( Zermatt -> St. Moritz ) and came back to Chur. We suggest to do only till Chur and do Bernina from Chur to Tirano.
Day 8 - Today we did Bernina Express ( Chur -> Tirano ) . We forgot to book Bernina Express Bus from Tirano to Lugano and this had resulted in buying new train tickets of Italian railway. Tirano - > Monza -> Bellinzona as STP is not allowed in Italy. Bellinzona was our base for 1 night.
Day 9 - Today we did Gotthard Panorama Express + boat ride in lake Luzern ( Bellinzona -> Luzern )
AVOID THIS TRAIN, waste of time and money. This was the only bad experience with Swiss railways in the whole trip.
We came to Luzern to spend last night in swiss trip.
Day 10 - This was our last day of Swiss tour before flying back to Berlin from Zurich. We did Mt. Pilatus tour and to our luck weather god was nice on us for few hours at least. We could take some nice pics and enjoy breath taking scenes from top.
Detailed Tips + Info
- If you want to know in detail please search by term "vikramviknowledgeshari ng switzerland" in google
- First lesson learnt; goto mountain if and only if there is blue sky.
- Avoid city visit at all cost and Swiss is all about nature which you don't get to see in other EU countries ( Snow clad mountain, below that green mountain, below that Alps village and lake to add to this beauty )
- Central and north Switzerland is more beautiful than south. Spend more time nearby Luzern and Interlaken