Jan 14, 2012 - 3:43 AM
My wife and I (60's) plan to spend 2 weeks in Switzerland from 2nd to 16th July and below is a brief itinerary.
D1 2nd July arrive in Geneva by air or TGV train from Paris to Geneva or Lausanna, take a local train to Montreux (overnight)
D1 & D2 Montreux - take the Chocolate train & local sightseeings
local train to Zermatt
D3 & D4 Zermatt - local sightseeings & take the Glacier Express
D5 & D6 St.Moritz - take Bernina Express to Lugano & local sightseeings
take local train to Lucerne
D7- D9 Lucerne - Mt. Pilatus, Mt Titlis & take the Golden Line Express to Interlaken
D10-D13 Interlaken- Jungfrajough, Schilthorn,boat trips around lakes Thun & Brienz, take the Golden line Express to Montreux
D14 & D15- Berne or Lausanna
D16 17th July take TGV train to Paris
My questions are:
1) Can I buy the Swiss Saver Pass (15days) at the Geneva Airport train station? if the Pass is validated on 2nd July afternoon, when is the expiry time and day for 15 day pass?
2) Since July & August are peak seasons and reservation is not possible on most Swiss local trains, will we have problem getting seats if we just hop into a train station at any time? If so is it better to buy 1st class Pass? Are the Scenic Trains open for seat reservation now for travel in July and when is the best time to book to be sure of seats.
3) Any direct train from Geneva Airport to Montreux? Because we want to continue the Golden Passline from Interlaken to Montreux, we have to be in Montreux again on D13 but only to take a connecting train to Berne or Lausanna before we take the TGV to Paris on D16, any better suggestion to improve on my itinerary to avoid going to Montreux twice?
4) I understand there is a local train plying the Chocolate train route and for a shorter duration of time, is this covered by the Swiss Pass and do you recommend this?
5) Is it necessary and advisable to book the other train or cable car rides like Mt Titlis, Mt Pilatus & the lake cruises?
6) What is the weather like in July, some of the hotels reviews commended that it is very warm even at night?
Many thanks for going through my lengthy letter but I want to make sure that our trips and timing turn up without a hitch.Switzerland is one of the most beautiful countries in the world and my wife deserves a memorable & enjoyable trip after "bearing" with me for 30 years