Switzerland in Oct 2022, Zurich as homebase

• Gjack5404
    Participant
    3 posts
    22 June 2022 at 19:04:50 #827575

Hello all, I love this forum.

We are travelling to Switzerland in mid October. We were planning on making Zurich our home base and want to see these places. I first thought one day at each place. My wife wants to take the train daily to visit these towns. I am wondering if we could combine some as some towns may not have as much to see. This was our Plan. I had booked all nights in Zurich to avoid moving luggage place to place and it seems that Switzerland is small and travel by train back and forth to Zurich may not be to bad. Still wondering and may be overlapping some travel?

Day1 Arrive in Zurich early am and see the city and maybe Rhine Falls

Day2-Travel to Bern via train, see the city maybe continue to Zermott? Back to Zurich evening

Day3-Travel to Lucerne and sightsee, back to Zurich evening

Day4-Travel to Interlaken and Grindelwald, and Lauterbrunnen-sightsee -Back to Zurich in the evening-having considered overnighting in this area as it seems there is a lot to see, also considering St Beatus Caves-30 minutes via boat, up a steep hill

3 castles in Thun -30 minutes by train or can go by boat tour and journey to Jungfraujoch.

Day5-Basel via train, back to Zurich

Day6-Zermatt via train, also do part of Glacier Express up the valley from Visp, or ride the Gornergrat Train

Day7-moving on to Spain

Thank you for any thoughts you can provide! Appreciate everyone!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2022 at 23:50:43 #943504

We are travelling to Switzerland in mid October.

Day1 Arrive in Zurich early am and see the city and maybe Rhine Falls

Rhine Falls / Schaffhausen is a short trip from Zurich so is OK (see attached picture of falls I took from a Zurich – Schaffhausen train a few days ago)

Day2-Travel to Bern via train, see the city maybe continue to Zermott? Back to Zurich evening

Bern yes – dead easy, Zermatt definitely no. Zermatt is not a viable day trip destination from Zurich unless all you do is stay in the village for an hour of two and then travel back

Day3-Travel to Lucerne and sightsee, back to Zurich evening

Luzern yes – dead easy – the train journey Zurich Luzern is less than 1 hour

Day4-Travel to Interlaken and Grindelwald, and Lauterbrunnen-sightsee -Back to Zurich in the evening-having considered overnighting in this area as it seems there is a lot to see, also considering St Beatus Caves-30 minutes via boat, up a steep hill

3 castles in Thun -30 minutes by train or can go by boat tour and journey to Jungfraujoch.

The above is all far too much for one day. The fastest train journey Zurich – Grindelwald is 2 hours 37 minutes, so that is over 5 hours gone from your day without even starting to do any sightseeing in the Jungfrau area.

Day5-Basel via train, back to Zurich

Basel – yes – dead easy. There are lots of fast trains (some non-stop) taking around 1 hour

Day6-Zermatt via train, also do part of Glacier Express up the valley from Visp, or ride the Gornergrat Train

Zermatt is viable but only if you stay in the area on arrival for at least one night (see above). Riding the Glacier Express just from Visp to Zermatt is a pointless exercise as has no advantages over the normal regional train.

Day7-moving on to Spain

How, and from where?

Gjack5404
    Participant
    3 posts
    23 June 2022 at 13:35:17 #943505

Thank you so much for the assistance. I knew I was trying to pack too much in. I may have to plan to move hotels along with our sightseeing. We will be flying out of Zurich to Spain the last day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2022 at 16:43:23 #943506

Hi Gjack5404 and welcome to MySwissAlps.com!

I agree with 1960man regarding the places you can visit easily from Zürich.

I recommend having a hotel in the Jungfrau region and in Zermatt.

Let us know if you have further questions,

Ildiko

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 June 2022 at 0:07:27 #943507

One further option – if you really do want to stay in one city the whole time – would be to stay in Bern not Zurich.

Bern has a number of advantages over Zurich as a single base for a visit to Switzerland:

1) it is more historic and nicer than Zurich

2) Basel and Luzern are easy day trips from Bern on direct train services

3) Bern is much closer (as the name of the region suggests) to the BERNese Oberland mountains, within which lies the Jungfrau region, as well as Thun and the Thunersee

4) thanks to the geography of the Swiss railways network, Bern to Zermatt is possible as a day trip

Gjack5404
    Participant
    3 posts
    24 June 2022 at 14:52:15 #943508

Thank you so much for this great suggestion! Love this idea.

• The thread ‘Switzerland in Oct 2022, Zurich as homebase’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.