What to do in Geneva, Luzern & Tirano

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2017 at 21:23:58 #813021

High-level Itienary: Paris (CDG) Airport to Geneva Airport to Lake Geneva to Interlaken to Lucerne to Venice in Italy.

Lake Geneva:

Day 1: go to Lake Geneva from Geneva Airport; walk around the lake and local areas. Travel to Interlaken in the evening if public transportation time works out so we start activities early in the morning.

Question: any activities recommendations in Lake Geneva?

Interlaken: explore Berner Oberland’s magnificent Lauterbrunnen Valley and Grindewald Valley, and see how cheese is made (it time allows); visit Jungfrau Region (the 4 towns Grindelwald, Murren, Lauterbrunnen, and Wengen and 3 mountains Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau)

Day 2: go to Trümmelbach Waterfalls in Lauterbrunnen Valley, and/or Aare gorge (Aareschlucht) and the Reichenbach Fall, if time allows. Travel to Lucerne in the evening if public transportation time works out.

Questions:

1. How do we get to Trümmelbach Waterfalls without a rental car and how much time would it require?

2. Any specific recommendations on which waterfall to visit?

3. What’s the best way to get to each waterfall when no rental car?

4. Is it true that we can stay at campground for bunglow in Lauterbrunnen valley? Does anyone one know what the average price would be for 2 people (no fancy stuff for us)? Lease expensive hotel works for us as well.

Day 3: Continue to explore the Grindewald Valley and some mountains

Questions:

1. What’s the best way to get to Grindewald Valley?

2. Any specific recommendations on what to do in Grindewald Valley?

3. Any recommendation on which mountain to visit and how to get there?

Day 4: go to Lucerne for a town visit and also these activities e.g. Chapel Bridge, Old City Wall, Lucern Art Museum, Water Tower, The Glacier Garden, Bourbaki-Panorama, The Lion Monument, The Rosengart Collection and/or The Richard Wagner Museum

Questions:

1. What’s the best way to get to Lucerne?

2. Any specific recommendations on which museum(s) to visit or avoid and which points of interest to avoid?

Day 5: go to Mt. Pilatus. Take the Panorama Gondolas ride; do some sight-seeing and light hiking e.g. Flower Trail/Dragon Trail/Dragon Moor. Travel to Mt. Titilis in the evening if public transportation time works out.

Questions:

1. What is the best way to get to the area to take Panorama Gondola to Mt. Pilatus?

2. Is it true that Titilis seems to be more interesting and has more to offer than Mt. Pilatus?

Day 6 and/or 7: go to Mt. Titilis. Titlis can be reached by cable car from Engelberg. Engelberg can be reached by car or by train; take the Ice Flyer or Rotair Stand to the mountain; do some exploring e.g. suspension bridge (opens all year), the glacier path to Stotzig Egg, lake Trübsee, do both alpine flower trails, and the Glacier Cave (this is a MUST to us, it’s all year and free for entry)

Questions:

1. What is the best way to get to Engelberg to take Rotair etc. transportation to Mt. Titilis?

2. Any hotel recommendation for least expensive rate (no fancy stuff for us)?

3. Is there any activities listed above we should avoid for any reason?Any recommendations of what else to do?

Day 8: go to Venice in Italy

I am thinking of taking Bernia Express to travel to Venice in Italy even though it takes about 4 hrs. My research results show that this is a classic route.

Questions:

1. It’s my understanding that we must get to either Chur or St. Mortiz to take the Bernia Express.The distance from Mt. Titilis is very far to either station.What is your recommendation?

2. Bernia Express will only take us to Tirano and it’s very far from Venice.What should be our transportation solution to get to Venice from Switzerland other than an airplane?

Overall Questions:

1. What kind of pass should we purchase?

2. Would that be easier to rent a car from one location and drop it off at a different location?

I would appreciate any feedback – thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2017 at 9:48:15 #868696

Hi Happygal01234 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

It might be best to answer your questions with some links around our website. These should answer most of your questions.

For more information on towns you are hoping to visit click on the following links (they also will provide details on where to stay and what we recommend to do in city or nearby (as well as how to get to the nearby mountains from each town):

For getting around Switzerland, either by train, cable car, bus etc. you can use the Swiss railway timetable. I’m not sure what exactly you mean by the “best way” to get somewhere. The timetable will give you the quickest way. Sometimes you can go different routes for more scenic travel (but I think all train routes are quite scenic!).

A couple of quick comments on your itinerary:

Day 1 –> You won’t have time to explore Geneva and the Jungfraujoch in one day.

Day 2–> You can reach Trummelbach Falls by bus in the Lauterbrunnen Valley – the Aare Gorge will take some time to reach (maybe that makes your decision for you.) 🙂

Day 5–> You won’t be able to go up to Mt. Titlis in the evening (5pm is the last trip down).

Everyone has their favourite between Mt. Titlis and Mt. Pilatus – both are great options I think!

Yes, getting to Chur or St. Mortiz is a long trip before boarding the Bernina Express. I would plan on an overnight somewhere to make it worthwhile (or possible). From Tirano, you can train to Venice.

Taking the train around Switzerland and to Italy is your best option for sure. The timetable I linked to above can help you plan out all your trips. 🙂

After reading through the above links for more details, let us know if you have more questions!

I would certainly look at the Swiss Travel Pass for all your travel needs in Switzerland. There is an 8 day pass that would work very well for you

Lucas

Arno
    15484 posts
    24 August 2017 at 6:12:39 #868697

Hello Happygalo124,

Camping Jungfrau in Lauterbrunnen offers mobile homes and bungalows for rent: http://www.hotelscombined.com /Hotel/Camping_Jungfra u_Holiday_Park_Hotel_L auterbrunnen.htm

• The thread ‘What to do in Geneva, Luzern & Tirano’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.