Switzerland Itinerary in 6 days

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2014 at 9:08:44 #806453

Hi,

Can we have your thoughts in our itinerary below and about swiss pass.

4 of us will be travelling to Switzerland on July 25-30, 2014. Refer below for our itinerary.

1. July 25 – arrival in Geneva (10 AM – straight to hotel) – explore Geneva for the whole day.
    2. July 26 – Train to Berne early in the morning – straight to hotel – explore Berne the whole day.
    3. July 27 – Train to Interlaken early in the morning – straight to hotel – travel to Jungfraujoch at 9:35 in the morning – back to Interlaken for overnight.
    4. July 28 – Train to Zermatt at 7:30 AM (probably included Matterhorn) – back to Interlaken at 5:39 PM… – Travel to Lucerne for overnight
    5. July 29 – Explore Titlis in Lucerne (explore Lucerne at nigh-time)
    6. July 30 – Explore titlis in the morning – day tour (we can explore Lucerne for 3-4 hours). – Travel from Titlis to Salzburg in the afternoon.

Questions:
    1. What are your thought in our itinerary?
    2. Purchasing the swiss pass valid for 4 days is worth it? (we will only validate the swiss pass on July 26 in order to mazimise the pass up to Lucerne.
    3. Can we use the swiss pass going to Jungfraujoch and Zermatt?
    4. Is it possible to deposit our luggages in Interlaken Train station so we can go straight to Jungfraujoch from Berne?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    22 June 2014 at 10:39:04 #840264

Hi aboy2kj,

Sure, we’re glad to help!

1. My thoughts on your plan:

• I don’t understand day 6. Did you mean to write ‘Lucerne’ instead of ‘Titlis’? I will assume that for now.
    • If you like to see both the cities and the mountains, this is a good mix. If you mainly want to see the Alps, I would skip one or two city tours and keep those in mind in case the weather isn’t good (Bern can be visited from Interlaken, from example). And focus on the Alps a bit more. The Rigi, for example, is included in the Swiss Pass for free.
    • There are no overnight trains in Switzerland, if that’s what you have in mind on day 4. You can take a train late in the evening though. See the timetable please.
    • If you haven’t booked hotels yet, be sure to check the hotel section. There’s a page with hotels very close to the rail stations as well.

2. Yes, a 4-day Swiss Pass would be great for this. See the Swiss Pass page for all pass details, prices and more.

3. The trip to Zermatt is free. The trip to the Jungfraujoch is free until Wengen or Grindelwald, and 25% discount beyond. You can best download the network map from the Swiss Pass page.

4. Absolutely: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/luggage

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2014 at 18:20:28 #840265

Hi Annika,

Appreciate it very much with your reply. Would appreciate it so much if you can help us further:
    1. Yes, I meant that for Lucerne if we can explore it in 3-4 hours. Then in the afternoon, we will go directly to Salzburg.
    2. Is it often raining/foggy for Zermatt and Jungfraujoch during summer? Are there specific trains or ways
    to get to Zermatt of Jungfraujoch in order to have a complete view/enjoy the trip going to the alps?
    3. Basically, our main objective is to visit the places we mentioned, try special restaurants and famous landmarks? Do you have a lists of great things to do in the place below?
    a. Geneva
    b. Berne (will it help if we still need to avail the city tour if we already have our swiss pass?)
    c.Interlaken (we are planning to have the boat ride along Interlaken if time will allow us. Is it correct that the boat ride is free? Is the boat ride still working around 6-6:30 in the afternoon? (I believe that Switzerland sunset during summer happened around 8:30 in the evening.
    d. Lucerne

Really appreciate your help.

Thanks again.

Annika
    7124 posts
    23 June 2014 at 4:39:36 #840266

Hi aboy2kj,

2. Summer is the most rainy season on average, but in most cases that’s only at the end of the day. Anything is possible: weeks can go by with almost no rain or it can rain for a week. Mostly, the weather is really nice though. You really only know on the day itself.

For tips on how to best plan the trips, please see the pages of the specific attractions, e.g. Jungfraujoch, Gornergrat, etc.

3. See our city pages and their “What to do” section for ideas: Geneva, Bern, Interlaken, Lucerne. Interlaken isn’t really a sightseeing town as there’s no much to see. It’s the surrounding area that makes it special. There are two nearby lakes, Lake Brienz and Lake Thun. Links to the timetables can be found on these pages. There are boat services in the early evening as well.

A Swiss Pass allows you to use the trams in Bern for free, although you can easily walk if you just want to see the historical town center.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2014 at 8:23:52 #840267

Thanks Annika, appreciate is very much. Hope to enjoy our vacation during our trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2014 at 18:46:20 #840268

Hi Annika,

Can I inquire going to Jungfraujoch with my itinerary as follows: (we have our swiss pass)

1. im planning to take interlaken ost to lauterbrunnen, then jungfraujoch.

2. going home from jungfraujoch to grindelwald, then interlaken ost.

Questions:

1. Will it be better to take grindelwald first, then, take lauterbrunnen to interlaken ost?

2. Is wengen area possible route for the trip? either take first or going home?

3. Do we need to make a reservation for the train ticket going to jungfraujoch? or we can just buy on that day.

Thanks a lot.

Arno
    15484 posts
    14 July 2014 at 5:36:59 #840269

Hi aboy2kj,

Thanks for getting back here.

1. It does not matter. I slightly prefer the direction you’ve planned, but there’s no ajor difference.

2. I am not sure what you mean. If you mean to visit Wengen also during the same day, then look at the weather forecast and visit the Jungfraujoch when the weather is best, and Wengen during the other part of the day.

3. You do not need reservations.

Kind regards,

Arno

• The thread ‘Switzerland Itinerary in 6 days’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.