Switzerland without hiking in Nov/Dec or Mar/Apr

• Jenn_chuah
    Participant
    112 posts
    4 April 2020 at 2:32:24 #825484

Hello,

Me and my hubby and mum were supposed to be having our first vacation in Switzerland right now if not for the Covid 19. Instead we are now confined to our home due to the lockdown.

But from the positive side, I will have more time to research further for our trip. We are now looking at either Nov/Dec 2020 or Mar/Apr 2021.

From what I have read thus far and those experiences shared by many in this forum, it looks like the main thing to do in Switzerland is hiking. But looking at the period of our visit, it is not really the time for hiking. Besides, my mum is in her 80s and both me and my hubby in our early 50s, hence I guess hiking may not be appropriate.

By the way, what is hiking by Swiss standards coz my husband and I can easily do about 10 to 15km brisk walk at any one time?

Also, if we do not go for hiking in Switzerland, what is it that we would really miss out? And are there any other alternative activities that we can do in order for us to have the same awesome experience as those who would actually go for hiking in Switzerland? We plan to spend about 10 – 12 days in Switzerland.

The inputs from the forum moderators/members are much appreciated.

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Virgingorda
    Participant
    58 posts
    4 April 2020 at 6:12:59 #931787

You don’t need to hike in order to enjoy the beautiful scenery. Switzerland is well covered by excellent public transportation that takes you up close and personal to any mountain top. In fact we joked they made it too easy to access nature. There’s always a train, a cable car, a gondola, etc. that takes you right to the top. There are some easy walks you can do once you get to the sight too.

Anna
    6382 posts
    4 April 2020 at 8:01:29 #931788

Hi Jenn,

I agree with Virgingoda. You don’t need to hike to enjoy the views. Most mountains are accessible with cable cars and gondolas, and in most cases you only need to do a short walk to get to an observation or panoramic deck to enjoy great views of the Alps. A short walk is still considered a hike, by the way 🙂

For a list of easy hikes, you can browse the hiking page and use the search button to narrow down your options based on trail difficulty and terrain type. I think city walks and walks along the lakes would be appropriate for your mom.

http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking

But there are plenty of activities to do in Switzerland too besides hiking. Here are some suggestions (I’m sure you have considered them):

Scenic train trips
    Culinary tours
    City tours

Regards,

Anna

Annika
    7124 posts
    4 April 2020 at 8:25:24 #931789

Hi Jenn Chuah! Too bad you had to postpone your trip, but it’s great that you’re planning for a new stay in Switzerland. Both November-December and March-April are considered low-season (http://www.myswissalps.com/besttimetovisit), but that doesn’t mean you can’t have a wonderful holiday. Just check opening times for each attraction carefully. Here are some upsides of and tips for the seasons you have in mind:

Jenn_chuah
    Participant
    112 posts
    4 April 2020 at 9:24:28 #931790

Thank you all for the inputs.

Glad to have the assurance that we could still have an awesome experience/ trip in Switzerland minus the hiking.

Keeping fingers crossed that things will be back to normal soon.

Thanks.

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    4 April 2020 at 12:01:06 #931791

Hi Jenn Chuah

Hiking includes all kinds of walks including short easy ones that can provide stunning scenery to enjoy. If you would like to consider some easier walks, there are some beautiful trails maintained for winter hikes from December to the end of March. A partial list and description can be found at Jungfrau.ch under experiences/winter hiking.

Mark

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 April 2020 at 16:55:06 #931792

Hi Jen-

Reinforcing the other comments, particularly Marks, you will find many easy hikes or walks, well within your stated capabilities, at lower altitudes in those times of year.

<<“By the way, what is hiking by Swiss standards coz my husband and I can easily do about 10 to 15km brisk walk at any one time?”>>

The definitions of hiking or walking and the distinctions between them are not at all clear, and many use the terms interchangeably on easy paths. In the high Alps, more strenuous trails often 10’s of km’s or even across the entire country, , with significant ups and downs, will always be called hikes. However, this one, (next link) sometimes called a hike, is really an easy walk. I ‘m using it as only an example to help answer your question; you may not be able to access it during your travel times. I’ve done it easily in my late 70’s with no trouble, and it has a local nickname of “The Grannies’ Walk.”

http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg

If you study that web page and check the tabs, you’ll see that is is a short “hike” of about 4.5 km. It is much better to walk from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg, in the modestly down hill direction. Not just because it is easier, but the scenic views are better that way.

I’ve attached a few pictures. Some include my daughter and granddaughter.

However, to be clear, I point it out only as an example to show what some call a hike is really a walk, and a very nice one.

Unfortunately, you might find it closed due to snow in your preferred travel times, but, it might be open for winter “snow” hiking in early March (probably not suitable for your mother) or hiking before the snow arrives in early November. Also, the cableway to get up there may be closed for maintenance in “low seasons” in early November.

If you travel in April, particularly toward the end of the month, Spring will be well along at sunny lakeside locations around Lake Lucerne, Lake Geneva, and Lake Constance, for examples. There are a lot of quite level and smooth lakeside walks all throughout Switzerland.. and with a bit of study of maps, you will find some that your mother would enjoy. Here is one that goes from train station to train station along the shore of Lake Geneva below the vineyards. It does have modest elevation changes, because a good part of it on on the hillside rising directly from the lake.

map.search.ch/?pos=548768,149192&z=64&poi=zug

There are train stations at Cully, Epesses ( about 1 km), then Rivaz (about 2 1/2 km further) then another 1/km or so to St. Saphorin.

That link shows the train stations and villages clearly.

This more detailed topographic map shows altitudes, and the exact trail, as well as trails on the slope above in the vineyards as yellow lines:

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=en&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo.pixelkarte-farbe&catalogNodes=1392,1538,1396,1430,1436&layers=ch.swisstopo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege,ch.bav.haltestellen-oev&layers_opacity=0.8,1&E=2548499.98&N=1148429.84&zoom=7

The trail has some parts on the hillside just above the rail line ( double bright red lines) between Cully and Epesses, which might be better to use, because if you walk right along the shore, you have a short but steep climb once you get to Epesses.

I’ve zoomed in on the map to show that:

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=en&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo.pixelkarte-farbe&catalogNodes=1392,1538,1396,1430,1436&layers=ch.swisstopo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege,ch.bav.haltestellen-oev&layers_opacity=0.8,1&E=2546775.00&N=1148971.09&zoom=11

You can see the climb fro about 389 meters to about 432 meters elevation in a short distance , before the heavy yellow line goes eastward to Rivaz. If you take the higher path from Cully, the ascent is gentle and has less elevation change.

That is a=n awful lot of detail, but it shows how lakeside trails can be relatively level, and offer wonderful views of the surrounding mountains.

I only had one convenient picture in my computer ( attached) taken from a bit above that lake shore, not far from Cully. You can’t see the trails, but you get a good idea of how the mountains look surrounding the lake.

There are also nice walks around small villages in many parts of the countryside, easily accessible by public transport, or by car if you choose to drive.

I’ve added a couple from Trub, in the Emmental, once again, just as one example.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2020 at 0:13:03 #931793

<< it looks like the main thing to do in Switzerland is hiking. >>

Be assured: hiking is absolutely not the main thing to do in Switzerland!

The many mountain railways and cableways that came with the late 19th century boom in tourism were designed for the exact opposite, ie to take people to the top of hills and mountains in seated comfort. Also, the lake boats and main line trains take you across lakes and around the country’s railway network where you can see the workaday environment and/ or magnificent scenery without leaving your seat. For example the full distance on the Lake Luzern boat Luzern – Fluelen is almost 3 hours of relaxation.

In any case the iconic Swiss ‘Wanderweg’ yellow-signed footpath network allows you to do anything you feel like: from a five minute flat walk to a 5 day high altitude hike

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2020 at 10:36:47 #931794

Hello Jenn Chuah,

I am sorry to read that you had to re-schedule your trip. I agree that as a positive note you have more time to refine your itinerary.

During the months of Nov/Dec, you could consider visiting the various Christmas markets that are set up throughout the main cities/villages. They usually start the last week of November or the first week of December in many places. If you haven’t experienced a winter season, it’s such a wonderful atmosphere and activity.

In March and April, it’s wonderful to take boat cruises with the various lakes. These boats often have full-service restaurants and bathrooms. I recommend: Lake Biel, Lake Lucerne, or Lake Neuchatel.

When I have older family members coming to visit me in Switzerland they love going to the natural thermal spas. The spas are are available through the year. I have attached a previous link about that:

Be sure to check this link out for inspiration. I am sure you will find a great number of activities that you will all enjoy!

Happy planning and take care!

Suzanne

Jenn_chuah
    Participant
    112 posts
    5 April 2020 at 15:45:44 #931795

Thank you all for the useful and detailed information. It is much appreciated.

It will definitely come in handy as we relook at our itinerary.

Many thanks.

• The thread ‘Switzerland without hiking in Nov/Dec or Mar/Apr’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.