Swiss itinerary help last week Dec. & Tell Pass

• Pogo
    Participant
    11 posts
    21 September 2018 at 2:58:31 #818463

Please help with several questions about trip planned to Luzern last week in December 2018:

Tentative plan to arrive in Zurich 25 December by airplane and go straight to Lucerne via train. Fly out of Zurich morning 30 December.

Questions:

1) Any idea how late train will operate on December 25 from Zurich to Luzern? Train schedule not available on Swiss rail website yet, but am needing to purchase our air ticket, trying to decide between arrival on December 24 versus December 25. Wondering how late safe to arrive by plane and still get to Lucerne from Zurich on train.

2)If we arrive evening of December 25th., does anyone have a recommendations for restaurant to make a reservation for Dinner for 4 in Luzern. We are planning to stay at Ameron Luzern Hotel Flora.

3)rail pass: Based on my investigations it seems the Winter Tell Pass would best fit out itinerary. Planning to stay the 5 days in Luzern ( 12/25-12/29). Hoping to ski if weather good at Titlis or Rigi, or both if 2 good weather days available. Also hope to visit Brunnen via Boat(?) to visit Swiss Knife Valley visitor center. Spend time in Luzern proper as well near our hotel. Seems the Tell Pass would cover these areas

It appears that the Tell pass covers train to Engleberg and the cable car at Titlis, versus the Swiss Travel Pass covers the train ride but only 50% cost of cable car. Is this correct?

I realize the Tell pass would not cover the entire train ride form Zurich to Luzern and vice versa, but would cover the portion from Zug to Luzern, so that we have to buy the ticket from Zurich to Zug but then could use the Tell pass. Is this correct?

4) Tentative plan to travel from Luzern back to Zurich on Morning of 12/29, spend day exploring small bit of Zurich ( open to suggestions) Maybe just window shopping or people watching on Bahnhofstrasse. Staying at Hotel St Josef. Then pay for short train ride vs taxi from hotel to airport on morning of 30th since our Tell pass ( if we do 5 day) would expire on Dec 29, if we start it on Dec 25 . ( plane departs 1030 am). Does this make sense? Or would it be better to spend 29th in Luzern , then travel evening directly to airport hotel in Zurich. Appreciate any thoughts on this

Sorry for the long post, but I really appreciate the advice you offer. Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 September 2018 at 7:22:53 #896641

Hi Pogo,

1. Yes, trains will be running almost as usual on Dec. 25 it won’t be an issue getting to Luzern. Exact schedules released around mid- October.
    2. I don’t have one myself. I know there have been posts on this before – try using our search box to find this topic on other threads
    3. Tell Tell Pass – Winter gets you to the mountain tops, but doesn’t include ski lifts at Titlis for example – that would be extra. http://www.myswissalps.com/te llpasswinter
      1. You can compare the coverage areas of the Tell Pass here: http://www.myswissalps.com/te llpasswinter/validity and the Swiss Travel Pass here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity
      2. Yes, you’d have to buy a ticket from Zurich airport to Zug with the Tell Pass. http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets
    4. Hard to say if you’d prefer the extra night in Lucerne or see a bit of Zurich for your last day. It is easy and quick to get to the airport from Zurich of course. And quite simple from Lucerne (there are direct trains). http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Let us know if you have more questions!

Pogo
    Participant
    11 posts
    21 September 2018 at 20:12:46 #896642

Thanks Lucas.

On additional question to clarify answer to # 3 re: Tell pass

So Tell pass gets you to mountain top without skiing (Titlis and rRgi?), but Swiss travel pass would not get you to the top and would also not include ski lifts, correct?

So when you buy a ski lift ticket, does that include the trip to the mountain top, or is it in addition?

If its in addition, then still seems like Tell pass is better deal for us, but perhaps I misunderstand.

Thanks for your help!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 September 2018 at 23:20:17 #896643

Ski pass tickets include all the lifts in a ski resort, so that skiers can get from the main ski town or village all the way to the top on one pass. Modern day skiers would not accept it if it worked any other way!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2018 at 7:17:09 #896644

Hi Pogo,

The Tell pass gets you to the top of both mountains for free, but does not include the ski lifts/areas. Same with the Swiss Travel Pass (it gets you free to Rigi and 50% off to the top of Titlis).

So if you are skiing for the day at either mountain, I would recommend buying ski tickets when there.

If you just want to get to the top of the mountain and look around/explore/do some winter hiking or snowshoeing either the Tell Pass or Swiss Travel Pass would work for you.

Pogo
    Participant
    11 posts
    22 September 2018 at 14:58:55 #896645

Thanks to you both!

• The thread ‘Swiss itinerary help last week Dec. & Tell Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.