Thanks for supporting our Switzerland trip!

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2019 at 19:30:05 #822057

We just returned from our 6 day trip to Switzerland and we couldn’t have asked for a more amazing trip. Of course, we couldn’t have done it without each of you! We arrived in Switzerland on 5/29 and were greeted with cold, rainy weather. However, the next 5 days were sunny, warm and beautiful. We could not have asked for better weather! We arrived 9am in the morning and had all day to roam around but it wasn’t the best weather for mountains, etc., so we walked around Zurich and the lake and also shopped at Coop for things we’d need for our daily excursions. We actually enjoyed sightseeing around Zurich a lot. It’s a beautiful city!

Day 2: Thanks to Rockoyster’s recommendation, we took the Bernina Express circular tour from Zurich to Tirano, Italy. It was everything we had hoped for. The floor to ceiling windows offer (in our opinion) a totally different experience than the regular trains and is perfect for capturing the astonishing beauty along this route. It was a dream come true for my husband who had been dreaming of traveling on one of these trains. Thank you 1960man for the detailed information on the Glacier Express. We are grateful for all the information you provided as well and certainly happy we chose the Bernina Express over the Glacier Express. Another tourist on the train told us that he did the Glacier Express but he thought this Bernina Express route was way more beautiful. I am sure the Glacier Express is still beautiful though as it’s traveling through beautiful Switzerland so you will always have astonishing beauty! We were able to get some beautiful glare-free photos on the Bernina Express as well, one of which is my profile picture.

Day 3: Thanks you Micalj for the detailed information on taking a tour to Gimmelwald via Lauterbrunnen and Stechelberg and up to the Schilthorn. The weather was perfect which gave us unobstructed views on top of the Schilthorn. Of course, on our way back down, I had to stop at Birg and do the thrill walk. As a thrill seeker, I couldn’t resist, And, notice I said “I” because my husband did not accompany me. He thinks I am a little too adventurous! We continued down to Murren where we got off the cable car and did the absolutely beautiful walk through the town of Murren and down to Gimmelwald. Thank you Beatrix for recommending the valley hike. I don’t know if this was the hike you were referring to but because you mentioned hiking, I thought I had to get a hike in to experience the natural beauty up close. The scenery here is beyond breathtaking!

Day 4: Attended church at Zurich SDA. We were invited home for lunch by a beautiful family from the church. Best food we had our entire stay. I can’t stop thinking about our new friends and the Swiss people in general. I have never met friendlier, kinder or nicer people!

Day 5: We decided to go country hopping. We travelled from Zurch to Vaduz, Liechtenstein and spent some time there getting our passports stamped and doing the hike up to the castle. Beautiful walk through the woods with a refreshing stream/waterfall along the way. Next we continued on to Feldkirch, Austria where we toured the beautiful old town and also the Schattenburg Castle. We then continued on to Lindau, Germany and walked around there, which is pretty as well. Then, continued on to Friedrichshfaen, Germany and then took the Catamaran over to Konstanz, Germany where we had dinner before returning to Zurich.

Day 6: We went to Luzern, visited the lion monument and toured the Glacier Garden before heading to Rhine Falls. Took the boat to the small island in the falls and climbed up the stairs for an up close view of the falls. After that, we just sat and enjoyed the view of the falls before heading back to Zurich to grab our bags for our 9pm flight to London and then home.

This trip had everything we wanted out a trip to Switzerland from snow capped mountains to verdant valleys to beautiful meadows, stunning waterfalls, perfect, clear and warm weather and friendly faces! I have to also mention the efficient and on time Swiss trains, trams and buses. We had a 4 day flexible Swiss pass as we did not need a pass for the 1st day (too much rain) or for Sabbath (Saturday). The pass worked out very well. We were happy we chose Zurich as our base as we enjoyed returning to this vibrant city every evening after our tours. Also, as we consume a mostly plant-based diet, the Hiltl vegetarian restaurant in Zurich was a life saver! Thank you to each of you once again for a most memorable trip! This group is a blessing for travelers to Switzerland. I tried to post some pics so please let me know if they did not come through. God bless each of you!

• The thread ‘Thanks for supporting our Switzerland trip!’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.