The Alps suffer from global warming; you can help!

• Arno
    15471 posts
    30 July 2015 at 18:23:24 #807661

Dear travelers,

Most people are aware of global warming, the problems it causes, and will be causing in the near future. The Swiss Alps we all love and wish to visit are already suffering heavily from the warmer climate.

The warm Summer of this year is another sad example of rapidly melting glaciers. Today’s news article on 20minuten.ch shows pictures of the process. Glaciologists predict that almost all glaciers will disappear over the next decades if global warming continues.

As a visitor to Switzerland, you can help to preserve Alpine nature:

1. Travel by train across Switzerland. This is eco-friendlier than driving, and a very pleasant way to travel;
    2. Compensate for the CO2 emission of your ride or flight to and from Switzerland.

Compensating for your trip is very easy to do through the Swiss organization myclimate. You can make a donation based on the mode of transport and distance. Myclimate will use your donation for carbon offset projects around the world, including reforestation and investments in renewable energy.

A donation of € 94 compensates for a flight from Singapore to Zurich and back (one traveler). That’s just a small portion of the average holiday budget, but makes a big difference in preserving the Alps for future generations. Further examples: from New York, € 56 compensates emissions. From London, only € 9 is enough. See http://www.myclimate.org to find the costs for your trip.

I made my donation today. I hope you do as well!

Thanks a lot, enjoy your holidays and the Swiss Alps!

Arno

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

vikicork
    Participant
    44 posts
    30 July 2015 at 22:47:58 #844889

Arno i notiiced the difference in just one year .

last year when i visited in late July ,there was still snow on the Mannlichen – Kleine Scheidegg trail and it opened mid June

this year in early June ,the trail was already open and the snow was almost the same as last year .

Hopefully this was just a year – year variation and not a trend of global warming ( but I fear it might be ) .

Arno
    15471 posts
    31 July 2015 at 5:30:51 #844890

Hi vikicork,

The daily weather and the climate are only loosely related. Indeed one warm year is not necessarily related to global warming. However, the trend is clear. The best we can do is being responsible travelers: “Do the best and offset the rest” as they say at Myclimate.

Arno
    15471 posts
    29 August 2015 at 14:32:19 #844891

Update: we’ve added a new page specifically about CO2 compensation:

myswissalps.com/ co2compensation

• The thread ‘The Alps suffer from global warming; you can help!’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.