What is Myclimate?
Myclimate is a foundation that emerged in 2002 from a project by students and professors at the Zurich university for technology and natural sciences (ETH). Their goal is to protect the climate (and therefore mankind), by creating a society with a high standard of living but very low greenhouse gas emissions.
One of their principles is "Do your best, offset the rest": make your CO2 footprint as small as possible, and compensate for the remaining emission. For us as travelers, that translates into: choose an eco-friendly mode of transport (e.g. train) and compensate for the emission of trips you can't avoid (e.g. by car and plane).
More information: www.myclimate.org/information/faq
If you donate to Myclimate, your money will be used to offset your CO2 emission. They have many projects around the world to do so. A few examples:
- Reforestation: we simply need more trees!
- Energy efficiency: saving energy reduces CO2 emissions too;
- Implement renewable energy: the transition from fossil to clean sources of energy (hydro power, wind, solar, biomass, heat pumps) is inevitable;
- Education: people can make the right choices if they know about the problems and the solutions.
More information: www.myclimate.org/information/about-myclimate/use-of-funds/
- A car trip from Amsterdam to Zurich and back causes 0.4 tonnes of CO2. A donation of CHF 11 makes your trip eco-friendly;
- A flight from London to Zurich and back causes 0.37 tonnes of CO2. A donation of CHF 11 makes your trip eco-friendly;
- A flight from New York to Zurich and back causes 2 tonnes of CO2. A donation of CHF 58 makes your trip eco-friendly;
- A flight from Singapore to Zurich and back causes 3.4 tonnes of CO2. A donation of CHF 98 makes your trip eco-friendly.
Get a quote for your trip: www.myclimate.org/carbon-offset