The best pass/ticket/card for us in Swiss

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2013 at 23:35:32 #806002

Me (48 yo), husband & son (11 yo) will be arrived @Zurich airport at 06:10am, 22-Sep-2013; and departure same airport on 02-Oct-2013, 22:45pm.

Our trip as following:
    Switzerland – 4 nights (Zurich – Interlaken – Paris)
    Paris – 3 nights (disneyland)
    Germany – 3 nights (Stuttgart-Munich -Zurich)

My questions:
    1. During our stay in switzerland, what is the best ticket to buy? Swiss Half Fare Card or Swiss pass? Or any suggestion for the cheaper way?
    2. To Paris, kindly advice what type of transportation to choose for faster way. Can we utilize the Swiss card? What type of train to choose for high speed train? Which train station (Interlaken or Lucerne?) to go to Paris?

Kindly advice. Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    2 May 2013 at 10:45:39 #838697

Welcome Ziela! Which pass is best, depends on your travel plans. If you plan to use public transportation quite a lot and prefer unlimited traveling, without having to buy tickets for each trip, I’d say you should look into a 4 day Swiss Saver Pass. If you’ll mainly be making short trips and don’t mind purchasing discounted tickets, consider the Swiss Half Fare Card. Which pass is most economical for your trip, should be calculated.

You can plan your trip to Paris with the aid of the timetable. You can leave from any Swiss town; the timetable will tell you how the trip should be made. As you’ll see, the trip is a bit shorter if you leave from Lucerne. A Swiss rail pass will be valid up to the border town of Basel, so you’ll need an additional regular ticket for Basel-Paris.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2013 at 5:31:31 #838698

Thanks your advice. I will choose 4 day Swiss Saver Pass for ease us without having to by tickets for each trip.
    My question, since I will be in Switzerland for 5 days, any suggestion what kind of ticket to buy for my 5th day in Switzerland?

For Paris trip, based on your advice and timetable’s link given, now I know how to estimate the time and plan my trip. Thanks Arno.

Arno
    15484 posts
    7 May 2013 at 7:47:02 #838699

Hi Ziela,

You’d best plan in such a way that you need the least amount of traveling on the first or last day. If you want to explore Zurich on that day, for example, you can purchase a local Zurich Card. If you have planned to do the transfer to Paris that day, then just buy a single ticket for that whole trip. Point to point tickets can be found here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2013 at 8:58:44 #838700

thanks your prompt reply.
    Both links given are very informative. I need to study both kind of ticket (Zurich card or point to point ticket), to ensure to select the suitable for my trip. Thank you so much. Really appreciate it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 May 2013 at 11:30:59 #838701

Hi Arno,
    Based on the trip given from my earlier post, can I book via http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html the single journey ticket from Paris to Munich?
    If not possible, any idea which website for us to book the point to point ticket the stated located.

Arno
    15484 posts
    8 May 2013 at 13:27:45 #838702

Hi Ziela,

I gave you a link to book such tickets in my previous post. Is there anything wrong with it? If so, please let me know your country of residence. Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2013 at 2:32:50 #838703

Hi Ziela,

I gave you a link to book such tickets in my previous post. Is there anything wrong with it? If so, please let me know your country of residence. Thanks!

Yes, I got it. Thanks again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2013 at 2:47:48 #838704

Hi Arno,

Based on my trip criteria, I found from Rail Europe website, for below recommendation the pass that I required:
    1 x Eurail Global Pass (saver pass). Valid for 15 days within 15 days, 2 Adult 1 Child ; cost about euro1,179.00 (1st class). No 2nd class offer for this Pass. Details given:
    Destinations: unlimited travel on the national rail networks of 24 European countries.

Reservation: compulsory for high speed, scenic and night trains.

Benefit from a wide network of high speed and local trains with unlimited rail travel among 24 countries. From Denmark and Finland to Spain and Portugal, from Croatia and Hungary to Italy and France, the Eurail Global Pass stays the best option to discover Europe across its culture, traditions, gastronomy and climate diversity.

The Eurail Global Pass offers you a unique experience of travel, comfort, hassle-free journeys and a wide range of destinations within Europe.

Eurail has tailor-made formulas especially for you and makes you benefit from bonuses so that Europe is finally yours!

My question, (sorry that not really clear about product description above).
    1. is this Eurail Pass over rules of Swiss Saver Pass too?
    2. Is this Eurail Pass also cover tram or bus during my travelling trip in Switzerland, Paris, Stuttgart and Munich?
    3. If not, please advice how am I to reach our hotel from train station?
    4. Conclusion, Is this Eurail Global Pass is the best solution for us?

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 May 2013 at 5:40:37 #838705

Hi Ziela,

1. & 2. To compare, please find full details & downloadable maps on the Eurail Global Pass page and the Swiss Pass page. In short: Eurail does not cover trams and buses, and it covers less mountain transport than a Swiss Pass.
    3. I would advice to book hotels at walking distance of the train stations, as that’s most comfortable and close to many attractions too. You can find such hotels here. If you do need a tram or bus which is not covered by your pass, then just buy a regular ticket.
    4. Eurail is the most comfortable solution, as most of your transfers will be included in one pass, and also it’s indeed 1st class traveling. Whether it’s the cheapest option can only be determined if you know all of your trips in advance and make the calculations (see Annika’s first reply).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2013 at 20:15:42 #838706

Thank you so much Arno.. your informations help me alot..!

Based on my calculation, comparing apple-to-apple by using 1st class, Eurail Global Pass Saver is the best solution for my trip.
    But the cost is just a bit expensive comparing using Swiss Saver Pass 4days (2nd class), plus point-to-point ticket for outside Swissland (2nd class), plus 1day Zurich Card.
    I also already booked the hotels nearest to the respective train station.

Now, should I have to wait for Eurail Global Pass Saver Promotion offer for Asian? As far as I know the promotion only open for Canadian and U.S people. Or should I buy now?

Arno
    15484 posts
    10 May 2013 at 1:57:33 #838707

I’m glad I could help Ziela! I don’t expect that same promotion to become available for Asia too. Anyway, if you buy now you can use these promo codes to get a discount.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2013 at 11:25:59 #838708

Those promo codes also help us. Thank you so much. Really appreciate it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2013 at 10:06:23 #838709

Hi Arno,
    Is it to early if I buy Eurail pass now? Or when is the best time to buy?
    I will be arrived Zurich airport on 22nd September 2013. When is the peak season?

Arno
    15484 posts
    20 May 2013 at 11:27:00 #838710

Hi Ziela,

No, that’s not too early. There is not really a best time, unless there are expiring promotions, which is not the case here. Peak summer season is July and August,

• The thread ‘The best pass/ticket/card for us in Swiss’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.