The Reluctant Travellers” Swiss Adventure – part 6

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 July 2017 at 4:38:12 #866045

Thanks Ms Lai. I hope your August trip goes well. It is a wonderful country.

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    3 July 2017 at 7:30:01 #866046

I love Konstanz! I studied German there with the Goëthe Institut back in the days when they ran a summer school there. Happy memories. Thanks for sharing.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 July 2017 at 7:54:19 #866047

Glad I jogged ’em Alan.

There is a big shopping mall named Lago. At weekends the Swiss stream over the border to fill there cars with German-priced stuff.

But it is a lovely town.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 July 2017 at 14:54:29 #866048

Hi Rockoyster

I can’t emphasise enough how much I have enjoyed reading all about your Swiss adventures – I love your writing style and the photos have been great – some nice quirky ones too!

Having spent most of our time in the Bernese Oberland during our trips, last year’s addition of a week in St. Moritz was a great success, hence this year’s return. Now we have decided a week in Ticino is the way to go for 2018!

Though we have made Thun or nearby our base for many years we have travelled on day trips all over the place from there – we are not averse to long train trips etc. – in fact we regard them as part of the adventure but the Engadine and Ticino are a long way from Thun so to really get to spend proper time there we need to split our bases.

A couple of years ago we did a river cruise from Kreuzlingen to Schaffhausen which we enjoyed very much and when we docked briefly at Stein am Rhein we thought it would be a good place for a day trip – it is on this year’s to do list!

I know the subject of waterfalls seems to divide opinion! We had been to Niagara but still felt our visit to the Rheinfalls was well worth it – we did the long round trip up the river and back as well which was a lovely peaceful way to spend an afternoon. We like to experience all the different things Switzerland has to offer so have enjoyed other waterfalls at Giessbach, Reichenbach, Trummelbach, Staubach and a few smaller ones elsewhere!

A few years ago we spent a week in Ulm in Bavaria (visiting Christmas markets in the area) and visited Lindau from there and gazed across the Bodensee to Switzerland on a very blustery grey day! Our daughter had recommended Ulm as she had spent a week there at a Science Conference and we really liked it there.

Now you have discovered Switzerland I am sure you will want to return so here’s to the next adventure! I look forward to further contributions to help other travellers – it is good that we can all learn from each other on this forum and I am so grateful to Arno and Annika for setting it up in the first place and keeping it running so well and to all the regular contributors who share their knowledge with us. And of course to newcomers who come up with interesting questions – I have sometimes found new ideas from their queries too!

Only 10 days to go and our next adventure starts – the excitement and anticipation grows!

Thank you again for sharing all your fun and enthusiasm with us here!

Best wishes

Maggie

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 July 2017 at 1:50:50 #866049

Hi Maggie,

Why thank you so much for your super kind and positive feed back. Makes me feel dead chuffed 😉 especially to think the musings of a rank amateur in Swiss travel might have in some small way influenced the travel plans of a pair of veterans. I’m sure you will enjoy Ticino. It’s worth it just to listen to the Italian being spoken.

I keep thinking of things I should have put in my reports, When we started out I had planned to keep a detailed journal. But that lasted about a day so I am going off increasingly shaky memory.

Don’t get me wrong on the Rhienfalls thing; we thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Especially the section below Schloss Laufen where you could almost reach out and stick your hand in the raging torrent. The feeling of the power of that water is amazing.

At Stein am Rhein we had a very enjoyable flamkuchen lunch at Flammeria zum Gutenberg – Alves on Fronhof. It was slightly off the beaten track and quiet. The staff were very friendly and made us feel very welcome.

Funny you should mention Ulm. At one stage we had planned to head there, Rhotenburg ob der Tauber and Wurzburg on our track back to Frankfurt. We decided instead on the Black Forest Route. Next time, yes there will definitely be one, we will probably do more excursions into Germany from Konstanz.

I couldn’t agree more with you about the value of MySwissAlps and this forum. I pay homage to the organisers. Like you I learn something new every time I visit. You will continue to find me lurking on these pages and offering advice (and the odd opinion) where I can.

Have a great trip this time. I look forward eagerly to reading your reports.

Cheers,

ps How do you get those nice blue links in your posts e.g. to Rheinfalls? Is that something you do or do the moderators add those. I’d love to have the ability (hint hint Annika and Arno). Makes things so much more readable.

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 July 2017 at 7:21:28 #866050

Hi Rockoyster,

The nice blue links are for moderators only to create, sorry 🙂 A future like that used to be available but hardly anyone used it. However, we might consider adding such links automatically in the future. Can’t promise though, as there is so much more to do.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 July 2017 at 8:13:55 #866051

Fair enough Arno. Just thought I’d ask. A lot of forums/blogs allow people to add links behind text but I guess that comes with its own set of risks. 😇

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 July 2017 at 8:29:43 #866052

. . . or maybe you could add the “insert link” tool in the edit toolbar about the message box but only for people who had made at least say 319 posts? 😎

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 July 2017 at 8:58:47 #866053

Nice one 🙂 I’ll keep it in mind.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2017 at 14:26:04 #866054

Am I the only one who gets a kick out of trying to translate your Tasmanian/Australian slang? 🙂 I think Google needs to add that to their service. Luckily the context of your stories helped me decipher!

Lucas

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 July 2017 at 21:04:28 #866055

LOL! Welcome back.

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    9 July 2017 at 21:46:43 #866056

I speak fluent Australian, so if you ever need a hand, just sing out. Mate.

🙂 Alan

kperigo
    Participant
    52 posts
    21 January 2018 at 22:30:12 #866057

Hi Rockoyster, Just finished reading your trip report. I read it a while ago but did not realize you were the “reluctant traveler”. So very interesting to read again now that we “know” each other (don’t know how to do those cute icons you insert :()

Enjoyed you photos very much!

Kay

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 January 2018 at 23:22:41 #866058

Hi Kay,

Thanks for the feedback. I do the cute icons on a Mac with Control+Command+Space which pops up a menu. I’m sure Windows has something similar but don’t do Windows these days.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 February 2018 at 21:55:28 #866059

Hi Kay,

If using Windows you can pull up a cute icon (aka emoji) keyboard by hitting Windows key + period.

See blogs.windows.com/wind owsexperience/2018/02/ 05/windows-10-tip-get-started-emoji-keyboard-shortcut/

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 February 2018 at 4:21:42 #866060

Hi rockoyster,

Reading your stories of adventure was enjoyable. Thank you for your careful, informative illustration. Like your writing style and nice photos. Appreciate your constant contribution to this forum with remarkable advice.

Salute

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 February 2018 at 4:22:58 #866061
    Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    7 February 2018 at 19:33:44 #866062

Hi Rockoyster and Arno,

This italicized bit is to see if there is a way for “non-moderators” to put in links in nice tidy underlined blue.

“I can’t wait for the 2018 edition of La Fête des Vendanges in Neuchâtel”.

Nope, it didn’t work. Too bad, as it would make for much tidier contributions.

How about emojis ? I got this 😊 by copy/pasting from a Hotmail message. 🍎 But they are really not important for me. 😒

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 February 2018 at 20:01:50 #866063

Hi Peterlii,

Join the queue on links.

In Windows 10 you can bring up an emoji keyboard by pressing Windows key plus period (.). 🤓

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    7 February 2018 at 21:54:17 #866064

Hi Rockoyster,

I’ve got Windows 7 on my laptop and XP Office on my PC back home ! The thing is I hardly ever use emojis and am even less likely to use them on this website. By the way, I read your final trip report and will go back and read the previous ones. I love seeing Switzerland through the eyes of an articulate traveller.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • The thread ‘The Reluctant Travellers” Swiss Adventure – part 6’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.