The Reluctant Travellers” Swiss Adventure – part 6

• rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 February 2018 at 22:28:18 #866065

Hello Peterli,

Why thank you sir.

I was hoping to return to Switzerland this September and spend time in the French side which we missed last time. For one reason or another we may have to delay until 2019 but I will continue to record your regular promotional material for visitors who venture west of the Röstigraben. 🍷

Arno
    15484 posts
    8 February 2018 at 14:14:08 #866066

Hi Peterli and Rockoyster,

Good to see another request for those cool links 🙂 We’ll probably first try and have an automatic way to insert them – so you and we don’t have to. We won’t be supporting emoticons – i.e. we won’t be offering a menu to pick from, like Whatsapp for example.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 February 2018 at 1:38:10 #866067

But, Arno, how would an automatic process know that I want to put in something like . . . . “and if you are interested here are the photos of our 2017 Swiss Adventure I posted on MySwissAlps last year”?

Emojis are not a problem for anyone using a modern operating system (no offence Peterli).

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    9 February 2018 at 2:51:57 #866068

Hi Rockoyster,

No offence taken, as I am quite content with Windows 7 on my HP laptop. Actually, about a year ago, when I switched to a SSD on it, the fellow asked if I wanted him to install Windows 10 and I declined. I am comfortable with Windows 7 in every way, so I figured I’d stick with it until this laptop computer gives up the ghost. When that time comes, who knows what number Windows will be current, 13 ? 16 ? And I figure that my next laptop, or perhaps some new form of portable computer, will have touch screen technology and perhaps I will just have to talk for various things. If I really want to add an emoji, I have my ways even now. 🍎 🚗 👌 📷 even 🚾.

Now, on to more important things, how did YOU get that blue underlined bit in your message ? Is this a copy/paste of an earlier posting ? Have you been promoted to a special status (after all, it does say you are a “top member“) by virtue of your over 1500 posts ? If so, good for you, but I (being only an “active member“) still have a looooooooong way to go.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 February 2018 at 3:09:01 #866069

Hi Peterli,

No I don’t have a special status to insert hyperlinks. 😢

I’m just a bit of a hacker at heart.

I have emailed Arno with some suggestions about ways to offer interested people link insertion capability.

Inserting the link above was a test of a theory (it is not cut/paste) and to demonstrate to Arno that it could be done. I wouldn’t want to reveal the technique I used or use it again without Arno’s say so.

🤓

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    9 February 2018 at 5:08:22 #866070

Hi Rockoyster,

I just finished looking over the 155 photos of your “Swiss Adventure 2017″ on flickr. I recognized many of the locations and am impressed by the artistry in your photos. I also recognized a number of photos that were taken over in nearby Germany. All this made me think of a recent thread on MySwissAlps entitled ‘Which Swiss places are good for a photographerand what I had thought about saying, but which I did not. But I will here: Switzerland is so photogenic that it is difficult to find a place that is not good for photography. It doesn’t seem to matter where you are; an interesting photograph is never far away, especially for those who have many varied interests (i.e. not just photos of Alps). One bit of advice I give to friends, which I am sure you do already, is to occasionally turn around and look behind you are as you are walking in a village or out in the countryside. By the way, were you driving around in that old red tractor or the black Mercedes ?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 February 2018 at 5:26:11 #866071

Hi Peterli,

LOL. The old red tractor is more my style. A strange juxtapostion of vehicles in a Konstanz residential street n’est-ce pas?

Our son lives in Konstanz but in the week we were with him we made several sorties back into and through Switzerland. We subsequently spent a couple of days at Geggenbach in the Black Forest on our way to Frankfurt.

I find your “an interesting photograph is never far away” applies to most places not just Switzerland. That’s why I rarely leave home without my little Sony pocket-able superzoom. Although I must admit Switzerland is exceptionally photogenic.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    9 February 2018 at 6:00:34 #866072

Hi Rockoyster,

Did you mean Gengenbach ? I haven’t been there but was just googling images of Gengenbach. I’ll put it on my places to visit as I have always stuck to places further to the south in the Schwarzwald, like Titizee and Sankt Blasien as well as along the Rhein itself. I was wondering if you had been far enough down the Rhein to see the old wooden bridge (Holzbrücke) that connects Bad Säckingen (DE) to Stein (CH). To think that during the war, Swiss and German soldiers were at both ends, and today schoolchildren from Switzerland cross the bridge on their bikes to go to school in Germany. No doubt you have seen the numerous EDEKAs just over the border in Germany that are heavily patronized by Swiss seeking lower prices for their groceries. How things have changed in the last 70 years.

I too rarely leave home without my small camera, a SONY DSC-HX50V, and agree that interesting photographs can be found in many places, especially if you include people, but it’s the incredible diversity of Switzerland in such a small land area that never ceases to amaze me. I’m visiting my sister in the USA right now (North Carolina) and didn’t take any photographs or record any videos today.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 February 2018 at 6:20:31 #866073

Hi Peterli,

Yes, Gengenbach. My mistake. One of the attractions was that it was on a list of villages where the hotels provided guest with a KONUS Card which enable free bus/train travel around most of the Black Forest. The card is not available at some of the bigger centres.

Never made it as far as Bad Säckingen but the wooden bridge looks interesting. Next time.

Yes we saw the Swiss convoy arriving in Konstanz for their shopping.

We have the exact same camera model! I have a Nikon DSLR and a Canon Super-zoom but find them too much trouble to carry around while travelling.

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 February 2018 at 12:09:47 #866074

Hi Rockoyster,

An automated process would not be able to do that, no. It should be able to link common town names, scenic trains, etc. to relevant pages. I saw you e-mailed us about this. I’ll get back to you asap.

kperigo
    Participant
    52 posts
    9 February 2018 at 18:16:08 #866075

Hi Rockoyster, have been missing in action for a bit. Have actually been working!!!! My former employer never really lets one retire.

Thanks for this tip. Even though my desktop runs windows 10 I cannot get this tip to work. All I get are lots of periods! 🙁

No big deal just nice to insert some semblance of emotion into a post.

Have been enjoying catching up with you and Perterli on this thread. Sorry you are not coming to Switzerland this September. Maybe we would have run into each other on a mountain somewhere.

kay

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    9 February 2018 at 20:01:00 #866076

Hello Kay,

If you really want to have emoticons in your posts, all you have to do is start an email in your Hotmail or GMail, compose your message, and insert as many emoticons as you wish, and then copy/paste the whole message into a reply box on MySwissAlps. Like this: 📷 😎 ⛄ ✈ This should work no matter which version of Windows you use.👌

September is my favourite month; if you are over in the French-speaking part of Switzerland this September, maybe we will pass in the crowds at La Fête des Vendanges, as long as you don’t “run into” my 🚗 !

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 February 2018 at 20:09:14 #866077
    kperigo
    Participant
    52 posts
    9 February 2018 at 21:04:54 #866078

👍😄 or just use your iPhone 📱

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 February 2018 at 21:09:00 #866079

Have you mastered the disappearing text problem when using the forum with Safari on iPhone? Or are you using Chrome?

kperigo
    Participant
    52 posts
    9 February 2018 at 22:21:16 #866080

Using Safari. Read somewhere about the text rolling to the bottom of the screen. Awkward and odd.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 February 2018 at 4:13:28 #866081

Hi Kay,

I just tried the Windows key + . emoji trick on a Windows 10 computer and nothing happened.

Here’s Plan B http://www.thewindowsclub.com /emojis-in-windows-10

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 February 2018 at 21:28:50 #866082

Windows key + Period. Why your emojis (probably) don’t pop up mspoweruser.com/heres-new-emoji-picker-windows-10-might-not-work/

Get a MAC Guys. 😝

kperigo
    Participant
    52 posts
    12 February 2018 at 1:44:21 #866083

So, much to my embarrassment I am running Windows 7 not Windows 10. Sorry to have caused all this great research for naught. Hope someone else stumbling across this will be able to use it.

I do have a tablet, not an iPad. Will see what I can turn up there.

I do want a new small laptop. Not sure I am ready for a MAC. 😉

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 February 2018 at 1:52:09 #866084
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 72 total)
  • The thread ‘The Reluctant Travellers” Swiss Adventure – part 6’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11100 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.