Thunderstorms forecasted… What to do?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 August 2015 at 18:57:27 #807738

Hi all,

I will be travelling to Zurich, Wengen, Gstaad, Lucerne and Interlaken from 21st August to 29th August. I checked the forecast weather and it says ‘THUNDERSTORMS’ all those days in thos places! Now I am so worried that I might not be able to travel and visit all places properly because of the rain. How bad are these rains? Any advice on how to travel if it pours bad? What are the alternatives to do if its rains and will everything be wet everywhere?!!! Any advice on what to carry besides rain coats to help while travelling? I am so worried now!!! Have been planning for this trip since Feb’2015!!! Please Help…

I have used this forum so much and I just love the help I get. You guys rock!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    12 August 2015 at 6:51:47 #845265

Hi bhavana2305!

I don’t think you have to worry right now. Forecasts for August 21 to 29 aren’t reliable yet, and in fact weather may turn out to be completely different than expected now. You’ll have a much better idea if you check forecasts a couple of days in advance. If bad weather is still expected, it’s good to know that it may not be that bad in reality: on days for which thunderstorms are forecasted it can be rainy during just part of the day, and dry or even sunny at other moments. In case of ongoing (severe) bad weather, here are some tips:

• keep an eye on the news and weather forecasts. In case of extreme rain fall, it may be better not to travel too much, as floodings or minor landslides can disrupt train traffic. This doesn’t happen often, but it’s good to know;
    • look for bad weather alternatives like museums and other indoor options (Zurich especially has lots of them). In the Jungfrau region, also consider the Trümmelbach falls, Beatus caves and the Aare Gorge. It’s wise to have a few back-up plans anyway;
    • don’t go hiking if it rains severely;
    • raincoats and solid, water proof shoes will do if you don’t plan hiking or other serious outdoor activities.
    lkdf62
    Participant
    41 posts
    12 August 2015 at 12:25:25 #845266

bhavana2305,

Heavy rain can certainly have an impact on your vacation plans on a hourly and daily basis and rains can also impact your ability to travel. In my opinion the greatest threat is your personal exposure to lightening before, during and after the these thunderstorms have passed. Exposed travel in the mountains, when you are hiking or simply standing on a observation platform is particularly dangerous in these thunderstorms. Below is a link that you should read for your safety…

http://www.wildbackpacker.com /wilderness-survival/articles/surv iving-a-lightning-storm/

Happy and safe travels!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 August 2015 at 12:47:37 #845267

I will be in Wengen at the same time, and also torture myself with the forecasts ! I can totally relate to your anxiety, but even though I can’t stop myself from checking the forecast, I know that it’s not that reliable. This is my 5th trip to Wengen in the summer, and I’ve never had more than a passing shower, never a day that was a total washout. . . Let’s just hope for the best. When I was there 3 years ago , on the same week, the weather was almost perfect everyday. One day, we woke up to black skies & rain. We changed our outdoor plans, and by the time, we got ready to leave our hotel, the sun came out !

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 August 2015 at 12:54:02 #845268

Is the Beatus caves and Aare Gorge entry fee covered in the Swiss Travel Pass or is it extra? I understand that the travel to both these locations is covered under Swiss Travel Pass.

Annika
    7124 posts
    12 August 2015 at 16:35:28 #845269

Thanks for your inputs, lkdf62! Lightning certainly is something to be very cautious with. If it’s predicted, it’s better to minimize traveling and don’t do any outdoor activities.

Annika
    7124 posts
    12 August 2015 at 16:40:57 #845270

Welcome to MySwissAlps, alpaddict!

I understand your concerns, but there’s really no reason to worry yet. I’ve just spent a couple of weeks in Switzerland and for many days partially sunny weather along with thunderstorms was predicted. In fact, it was sunny pretty much all day long with only a few rain drops in the evening and a very occasional, far away thunder. Weather is highly changeable indeed, and very locally determined, especially in the Alps. Of course it can be worse than this, and short-hand warnings about heavy rain and thunderstorms have to be taken seriously. But let’s just wait and see how it all turns out. Good to know you’ve been able to enjoy Wengen and its beautiful surroundings a couple of times! I hope you’ll have a great stay there once more.

Annika
    7124 posts
    12 August 2015 at 16:48:52 #845271

Hi samyakhd,

Traveling to both places is for free with the Swiss Travel Pass. The entrance fees are not covered though. Please see http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity and http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/details for more information.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 August 2015 at 17:27:16 #845272

<<“If bad weather is still expected, it’s good to know that it may not be that bad in reality: on days for which thunderstorms are forecasted it can be rainy during just part of the day, and dry or even sunny at othermoments. In case of ongoing (severe) bad weather, here are some tips:”>>

Time and again I have looked at weather forecasts for a region in Switzerland, and have seen rain, thunderstorms, etc. When I have gone to those areas, I have found nice weather or cloudy weather but no rain or lightning. 10 km. away, the bad weather exists,

Swiss weather is micro-climate weather. The geography means that the conditions are very different within a few miles of a place where the forecast may hold true, but may have different weather where you are. Altitude is critical. If I am going to a region where bad weather is forecast, I basically ignore the details until a few days ahead, then go anywy with an umbrella or a rain jacket. There is an inn I stay at in Ligerz where it never rains when the next towns north up the lake are getting rain.

As Annika noted – don’t go out in lightning storms, or really heavy rain. But, a bad weather forecast should no prevent a trip.

When the forecast is for a region, they have to include the worst. That does not mean that the whole region will be that way.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 August 2015 at 18:45:41 #845273

Thank you all. Makes me feel so much better now! 🙂 ATleast beacuse we have this forums, I feel like planning another trip to switzerland very soon…! 😛

• The thread ‘Thunderstorms forecasted… What to do?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.