More details about the Swiss Travel Pass
Read about what else is included, and further details about the Swiss Travel Pass.
Swiss Travel Pass Youth: discount for youths
The Swiss Travel Pass Youth is the discounted pass for anyone up to 25 years (inclusive). The Swiss Travel Pass Youth is exactly like a Swiss Travel Pass. There is no other difference than the price.
Discounts on various events and day trips
Essentially the Swiss Travel Pass work much like the GA travelcard (German: Generalabonnement) for Swiss residents, which allows free traveling throughout Switzerland. That means that in most cases where the GA entitles for a discount, the Swiss Travel Pass will entitle for that same discount. Combined tickets for events and other day trips include both the transportation and the admission, and sometimes other services. You will get a discount because the transportation is already included in the Swiss Travel Pass.
Traveling 1st class with a 2nd class Swiss Travel Pass
If you have a 2nd class pass you can still choose to travel 1st class on occasional trips. You can buy an upgrade ticket at the rail station. It costs half of the difference between the 2nd and 1st class fare for the route you wish to travel.
Who can buy the Swiss Travel Pass?
The Swiss Travel Pass can be purchased by anyone except for residents of Switzerland and Liechtenstein.
More about train traveling in Switzerland
Information about timetables, seat reservations and much more can be found here.
Alternatives if you stay longer than 15 days
The Swiss Travel Pass is available for 3, 4, 8 and 15 days. You can consider the below alternatives if you stay in Switzerland for longer than that:
- If you need a pass for 30 days the most convenient option is to buy two 15-day Swiss Travel Passes of CHF 485 each. The cost per travel day is CHF 32, which is still good value if used extensively;
- Likewise, if you need a pass for 23 days you can buy a 15-day and an 8-day Swiss Travel Pass of CHF 485 and CHF 398 each. The cost per travel day is CHF 38;
- If you don't need to travel every single day, the 15-day Swiss Travel Pass Flex of CHF 532 allows you to travel for 15 days within one month. The cost per travel day is CHF 35;
- The one month Swiss Half Fare Card is an alternative if you are willing to give up on ticketless traveling and buy discounted tickets for all your trips;
- There is also a Swiss Half Fare Card for one year. People without a passport from Switzerland, Germany, Austria, France, Italy or Liechtenstein can not buy it online. It allows buying a 1-month travelpass as an add-on. The combination of these products costs CHF 605. Note that this product combination is different from a Swiss Travel Pass. Some Swiss Travel Pass benefits are not included. For example: it does not include free entrance to museums, nor does it offer free traveling to peaks like Schilthorn and Stanserhorn. As this is not a tourist product we refer to the SBB website for more details: www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-and-tickets/railpasses/half-fare-travelcard.html;
- Eurail and Interrail passes allow unlimited traveling as well, but these passes are very different from the Swiss Travel Pass. Be sure to study the details before deciding.
Please find prices and retailers here.
Any questions left?
Feel free to contact us. The forum is the best place to do so.