11 days in Switzerland with Swiss Travel Pass

• Jpentshuk
    Participant
    2 posts
    11 August 2023 at 18:19:07 #830491

Hi,

Since I used this forum as main starting point to get information about Switzerland, I also post here my trip details and impressions about the country, so it could be perhaps somehow useful for other travellers.

I travelled solo, so all the costs I made, were only for 1 person. I used Swiss Travel Pass and bought it during spring promotion, so I got 8 travel pass with free 2 days, in total 10 days. All the hotels I booked via Booking.com and panorama train tickets also bought in advance.

My trip was between July 4th and July 14th, started in Zürich and ended in Geneva.

July 4th

Arrived 8.30 am to Zürich. Since I had 2 nights booked in Zürich, I was checking weather forecast, which looked promising at this point and decided to visit Mt Titlis in Engelberg. So I took train from airport to Zürich and from there to Luzern. There I left my luggage to locker and travelled to Engelberg. Well, to be honest, when I reached to the top of Titlis, it was pretty cloudy. Spent there almost 2 hours, so I got some better views during this, but in overall I was disappointed. Returned to Zürich and checked in to hotel. In the evening I visited Zürich Opera (Puccini “Turandot”), which was superb. The small and nice building and the level of singing and playing were really good. I did not visit other places in Zürich, since that was the only place I have had visited in the past.

July 5th

That was a very rainy day from the morning, so I decided to go to Bern, which sidewalks at least in the center have ceiling, so its very easy to stroll around. I visited most famous places in the center, also Einstein Museum. Since I got to Bern already 8 AM, I had plenty of time left and I decided to travel to Basel. Zürich, Bern and Basel are located pretty much like triangle, so its 1 hour train ride between those. In Basel I visited Basel Kunstmuseum and also walked the centrum mostly. My favourite attraction there was the Tinguely Fountain. Returned back to Zürich in the evening.

July 6th

In the early morning I had 2 options: either visiting Pilatus or Rigi. Based on weather when I arrived to Luzern, I chose Rigi, so I travelled to Vitznau by boat, which was very scenary trip. Then took the cog railway to the top. One of my idea of this Switzerland trip was also hiking, so I chose to hike down to Rigi Kaltbad, which was very nice walk, since weather was good and views breath taking. To make it more interesting, I picked gondola down to Weggis from Kaltbad and returned to Luzern by boat.

Since I needed to travel to Grindelwald this evening and I had 3 hours left, I walked in Luzern and also visited Swiss Travel Museum. That was a mistake, since it was very interesting and I would have needed almost entire day there. Anyway after that I took a very scenic train ride to Interlaken and from there to Grindelwald.

July 7th

Since it was clear day, I visited Jungfraujoch with the first ride. Took cable car from Eiger and proceeded with train to Jungfraujoch. I believe this was my favourite part of the trip. The place was not crowded yet and views were really amazing. Since it was also most expensive trip (I think it was 170 CHF even with travel pass) I got good views. I have heard lot of stories people are very disappointed because no views and lot of money spent. From Jungfraujoch I took a train to Lauterbrunnen and since weather was still very good (next days were promised to be already more cloudy) and I am James Bond movie fan, I took the gondola to Grütchalp and short train ride to Mürren. And from there to Schilthorn. Views there and Bond World were very nice and interesting. Spent almost 3 hours there, since I had dinner in Piz Gloria restaurant. After that I spent 45 minutes in Birg and then returned to Stechelberg. From there took a bus to Lauterbrunnen and train to Grindelwald.

July 8th

This day I planned to take it more easy and slow and focus more on hiking. So I travelled from Grindelwald to Lauterbrunnen and decided to visit Trummelbach Falls, which is just between Lauterbrunnen and Stechelberg. Trummelbach was nice, even if it was I think the only place Swiss Travel Pass did not give any discount. From Stechelberg I took a gondola to Gimmelwald, since I wanted to visit Honesty Shop. Well, to be honest, I did not find anything interesting to buy, so I hiked up to Mürren from there. Then I had a shopping and lunch in Mürren (which is by far most beautiful car free town compared to crowded Zermatt). Later I had a very nice easy hike from Mürren to Grütchalp. Then I took a gondola down to Lauterbrunnen. Well, since I had some time and I am keen on mountains, I took train to Wengen, where I just walked around, watched nice views and took some beers in the restaurant. Travelled back to Grindelwald.

July 9th

Morning started with train ride to Interlaken. In the train I got a call from Grindelwald hotel. They asked my help to identify some persons who damaged the bench in the hotel during the night, but I could not help, since I was sleeping deeply and did not hear anything. From Interlaken I took train to Lugano to also visit Italien part of the country. Weather there was very hot, so I wanted to swim. Based on google, Locarno was suggested, but before going there I visited San Salvatore mountain wifh very nice views. There is only 30 min train ride to Locarno and there is very good paid public beach at the lake, where is possible to rent a locker to store your stuff. Spent there almost 3 hours. Later in the evening I walked in the Lugano.

July 10th

First panorama bus/train ride day. I took a bus from Lugano to Tirano and from there Bernina Express to St Moritz. Bus ride provided good views to Lake Lugano and Lake Como, but it was not really possible to shoot photos. But the train ride was best train ride experience in Switzerland about views. Also how the train is able to raise by altitude without cogwheel, very remarkable. Reached to St Moritz in the afternoon. That was the most boring place for me during the trip, I walked in the city, but there was not much to see and it was packed with exclusive shops etc. So yes, nothing really interesting for me.

July 11th

Longest train ride during the trip. Glazier Express to Zermatt. Very nice views, I met nice people in the train, good table service and food, but way too long. I guess after 3 hours I was already bored, since views were pretty similar. Made a small walk in Zermatt after arriving.

July 12th

In the morning I took a cable car/gondolas to Klein Matterhorn. Weather was half cloudy and very windy. Still I got some views in the top, even if wind was really strong. About after an hour I tried to visit viewing platform once more and then it was already closed due to string wind. Ice cave was also nice and overall I was satisfied, since it was the highest peaks (3883 m above sea level) I visited in Switzerland. Later I took a cable car down (with some stops in Trockner Steg and Shwarzsee) to Furi. Hiked to see the suspension bridge there and later hiked to Zermatt. In the evening visited local McDonalds to try out McRaclette 🙂

July 13th

My last entire day in Switzerland and the only day to visit French speaking part of the country. From Zermatt I took a train to Brig for some shopping (since you cannot get the same mountain cheeses from Geneva anymore as you can get from Wallis canton) and then travelled to Montreux. Stored a luggage and spent about 3 hours to simply walk the nicest lake shore (Freddy Mercury statue etc) of Lake Geneva. Later travelled to Geneva and strolled in the city until late evening. My favourite was Clock Watch in the English garden. Spent night in the hotel near Geneva Airport since I had early morning flight.

July 14th

Flight from Geneva to Amsterdam and then back home Estonia.

Overall this was extraordinary trip, the beauty of the nature etc. Switzerland was a place I already dreamed a long time to visit, but since its pretty expensive country, this took some time to plan and settle. Probably many think that this itinerary was way too rushed, but since transport system there is very well tailored and one cat pretty much reach to every point in the country in every 30 minutes, I would use train rides to rest my feet, still enjoy views and be rested once arriving to next location. STP is a very good value of money: even if it seems to be expensive at first, with my itinerary I covered its cost already by 3 days (when compared to buy ordinary point-to-point tickets).

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6384 posts
    12 August 2023 at 8:40:41 #957239

Hi Jpentshuk,

Thank you for posting your trip report.

It sounded like you had a great trip and covered a lot of places in less than 2 weeks. Glad you visited not only the German-speaking region but the French and Italian-speaking regions as well.

Regards,

Anna

Pam19
    Participant
    9 posts
    12 August 2023 at 12:34:22 #957240

Anna, this is so helpful. Thank you so much!

hockeyfan
    Participant
    162 posts
    12 August 2023 at 21:23:31 #957241

Love your trip report. Thank you for taking the time to share.

Annika
    7125 posts
    13 August 2023 at 7:30:35 #957242

Thanks for sharing Jpentshuk! You sure made the most out of your time in Switzerland. You managed to see and do a whole lot! This obviously was a well-prepared and well-paced itinerary for you, and I’m glad it turned out to be the dream trip you hoped for :-).

• The thread ‘11 days in Switzerland with Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.