• giftofgod
    Participant
    12 posts
    13 May 2016 at 14:35:57 #809186

Hi

Need help on Swiss Travel Pass and Swiss Half Fare Card

Taking an example below

Searching for Ticket on sbb.ch from Luzern to Rigi Klum via Vitznau

It showed all the train connections, but In Reduction column it showed only the following :

No Reduction

Half Fare Travel-Card

Child aged (0-6)

Child Aged (6-16)

Swiss Travel Pass for 3 days is CHF 210.00

Swiss Fare Half Card for 1mth Validity is CHF 120

I have checked the validity map and mostly understood what and where to get discount and how much

Questions :

a) There is no mention of Swiss Travel Pass in this Column, So how to use it for purchasing Tickets on line with Swiss Travel Pass !!!

b) Any difference between Swiss Half Fare Card and Half Fare Travel Card !!!

c) Is there any difference between Swiss Pass and Swiss Travel Pass !!!!

d) Are the above passes valid for foreigners

The SwissPass.

Since 1 August 2015 your Half-Fare travelcard has been included on the SwissPass. This is the first stage in a new era for travel on public transport and for your mobility. For the SwissPass is not only the card for your Half-Fare travelcard but it also provides you with simple access to partner services from Mobility Carsharing, PubliBike, SwissMobile and to ski areas.

I mailed to sbb.ch about the above queries , they replied me but again its not clear

Help in this matter is needed !!!!

Thanks

Sanjeev

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    13 May 2016 at 15:59:47 #851969

Hi giftofgod,

a) The Swiss Travel Pass covers the trip for free. No need for tickets.

b) The first is for tourists, the other for Swiss citizens. Both provide the same as long as it involves tickets within Switzerland. You can buy the ticket locally. No need to buy from the SBB site. You just need the site to check train schedules.

c) You can forget about the Swiss Pass. It’s for Swiss citizens only, please see here. The Swiss Travel Pass is for tourists, please see here for what’s included, how it works, and where to buy.

d) Please see the above answers.

giftofgod
    Participant
    12 posts
    14 May 2016 at 5:41:06 #851970

Hi Arno

thanks a lot for you quick and clear reply. Few more things to ask

1) As per Swiss travel Pass “Cable cars, cogwheel trains and funiculars are discounted by 50%” but i cannot book them online as these does not show in deduction column of sbb.ch. So i will have to book these tickets at railway station, Is it Correct !!!!!!

2) ” The Rigi cogwheel train is free ” with SWISS TRAVEL PASS . So if I go to Rigi Klum from Lucerne Via Vitznau (by boat and then by cog rail) then whole trip is free with the Pass. If i use Cable Car from Katlbad to Weggis (or vice versa) then I will have to pay 50% of the Ticket Price of Cable Car , Is it Correct !!!!!

3) Mountain Rail and COG Rail are mostly the same , i hope, if i am not confused !!!!

Thanks and waiting for your reply

SANJEEV

Arno
    15484 posts
    14 May 2016 at 10:55:38 #851971

Hi Sanjeev,

1) You don’t need to book anything on the SBB site for these trips. The SBB is the main (but not the only) train operator in Switzerland and they don’t operate cable cars, cogwheel trains and funiculars. All you need to do is buy a Swiss Travel Pass (see all options here), print it at home, and enjoy free trips on all trains, boats and buses. Once you want to ride a cable car or any other mountain transport not included in the pass, you can buy a ticket on the spot and get a discount.

2) That cable car is free as well. No need to buy tickets. The page I referred to in my previous post lets you download a detailed map of what’s included. Please see the “Where it’s valid” section.

3) The mode of transport is not relevant. Please download the map to see what’s included.

I hope it makes sense for you now!

giftofgod
    Participant
    12 posts
    14 May 2016 at 13:49:45 #851972

Hi Arno

thanks a lot for your answers. things has been clarified now.

sanjeev

• The thread ‘Ticket booking with sbb and discounts with pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.