Should I tip guides on free walking tours?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2019 at 19:49:56 #822793

Hi there

I would really appreciate some advice on how much to tip our guides on a Free Walking Tour. I know that tipping is discretionary based on how happy we are with the service/tour, but is there a standard range for tipping guides? (especially given that it’s a free walking tour, and I’m guessing these guides are volunteers and so I will want to show my appreciation all the more)

As always, I’m thankful for the info I get through this forum!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7125 posts
    12 July 2019 at 10:03:55 #917554

Hi Sandy64!

That’s correct, there are no tipping guidelines as far as I know. You can express your gratitude and level of satisfaction by handing them over a couple of francs. How many definitely depends on the length of the hike (a 2 hour city stroll is different from a multiple day trek in the Alps) and how well they did. There have been a few threads on tipping on this forum. I’ll add them below, they may be of help:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2019 at 12:42:05 #917555

My personal guideline is the equivalent of $10.00 us per person for city tours.

• The thread ‘Should I tip guides on free walking tours?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.