Train changes on route Milan-Montreux

• Dara
    Participant
    10 posts
    2 August 2022 at 13:41:46 #827953

Dear Sir,

If I travel from Milan to Montreux,Switzerland and have Swiss travel pass second class ,eurail Italy pass first class.Where I should change the car? Pls. suggest ,Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    2 August 2022 at 14:39:08 #945072

Hi Dara,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

The fastest route would be Milan – Domodossola – Brig – Montreux.

The regional Trenord in North Italy operates a regular service between Milan and Domodossola (at the Italy-Swiss border). This leg is covered by your Interrail pass. From Domodossola you can take the regional train to Brig, then switch to the train to Montreux. This part of the journey is fully covered by the Swiss Travel Pass.

There are also direct trains between Milan and Brig but you might need to reserve seats in advance. You can check train schedules and find other suitable connections on the SBB timetable.

Let us know if you need more info.

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 August 2022 at 21:55:14 #945073

You should aim to get one of the direct Milano – Geneve direct trains, which call at Montreux. You would need a valid ticket for the Italian portion and for the Swiss section but you can stay on the same train..

But beware if travelling in September as the line is closed for work

Lynda
    Participant
    26 posts
    3 August 2022 at 18:22:56 #945074

Definitely Milan – Locarno – Centovalli line to Domodossola then Brig. It’s beautiful. Get off and have a look round Domodossola, (market days are great – euros) have lunch then go to Brig and Montreux

Dara
    Participant
    10 posts
    4 August 2022 at 0:57:55 #945075

Thanks,Anna.I’d like to know the station that I start using my Swiss pass.Regards.

Dara
    Participant
    10 posts
    4 August 2022 at 1:03:37 #945076

Thanks1960 man,Thank you for your recommendation,but which station is the last portion of Italy,and from which station to start using Swiss pass.(in case that I have only Swiss pass).Regards.

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 August 2022 at 9:39:42 #945077

Hi Dara,

Most trains between Milan and Montreux travel via Domodossola. That’s the first station for which your Swiss Travel Pass is valid .

If you take Blig’s suggestion and travel via Lugano, Locarno and the Centovalli route (https://www.myswissalps.com/centovalli), then Chiasso is the first station of your Swiss Travel Pass validity.

You can download the Swiss Travel Pass validity map here: https://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity. The timetable shows details for each connection, including the rail stations you’ll pass along the way. You can also choose to view each connection on a map. This page explains in detail how the timetable works: https://www.myswissalps.com/timetable.

If you only have a Swiss Travel Pass and no pass for Italy, you’ll need additional tickets between Milan and either Domodossola or Chiasso: https://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy.

Dara
    Participant
    10 posts
    4 August 2022 at 10:20:07 #945078

Dear Arno,

Thank you so much for your help.

• The thread ‘Train changes on route Milan-Montreux’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.